Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Child Abuse and Neglect Warning Signs of Abuse and How to Report It

2 posters

Go down

Child Abuse and Neglect Warning Signs of Abuse and How to Report It Empty Child Abuse and Neglect Warning Signs of Abuse and How to Report It

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:12 am

In the USA, an estimated 906,000 children are victims of abuse & neglect every year, making child abuse as common as it is shocking. Whether the abuse is physical, emotional, sexual, or neglect, the scars can be deep and long-lasting, often leading to future child abuse. You can learn the signs and symptoms of child abuse and help break the cycle, finding out where to get help for the children and their caregivers.

You can make a difference

One of the most painful effects of child abuse is its tendency to repeat itself. One of every three abused or neglected children will grow up to become an abusive parent. You may be reluctant to interfere in someone’s family, but you can make a huge difference in a child’s life if you do. The earlier abused children get help, the greater chance they have to heal from their abuse and not perpetuate the cycle.

Warning signs of physical abuse

Physical signs. Sometimes physical abuse has clear warning signs, such as unexplained bruises, welts, or cuts. While all children will take a tumble now and then, look for age-inappropriate injuries, injuries that appear to have a pattern such as marks from a hand or belt, or a pattern of severe injuries.

Behavioral signs. Other times, signs of physical abuse may be more subtle. The child may be fearful, shy away from touch or appear to be afraid to go home. A child’s clothing may be inappropriate for the weather, such as heavy, long sleeved pants and shirts on hot days.

Caregiver signs. Physically abusive caregivers may display anger management issues and excessive need for control. Their explanation of the injury might not ring true, or may be different from an older child’s description of the injury.

Emotional child abuse

“Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”. This old saying could not be farther from the truth. Emotional child abuse may seem invisible. However, because emotional child abuse involves behavior that interferes with a child’s mental health or social development, the effects can be extremely damaging and may even leave deeper lifelong psychological scars than physical abuse.

Behavioral signs. Since emotional child abuse does not leave concrete marks, the effects may be harder to detect. Is the child excessively shy, fearful or afraid of doing something wrong? Behavioral extremes may also be a clue. A child may be constantly trying to parent other children for example, or on the opposite side exhibit antisocial behavior such as uncontrolled aggression. Look for inappropriate age behaviors as well, such as an older child exhibiting behaviors more commonly found in younger children.

Caregiver signs. Does a caregiver seem unusually harsh and critical of a child, belittling and shaming him or her in front of others? Has the caregiver shown anger or issues with control in other areas? A caregiver may also seem strangely unconcerned with a child’s welfare or performance. Keep in mind that there might not be immediate caregiver signs. Tragically, many emotionally abusive caregivers can present a kind outside face to the world, making the abuse of the child all the more confusing and scary.

Sexual child abuse

Sexual abuse, defined as any sexual act between an adult and a child, has components of both physical and emotional abuse. Sexual abuse can be physical, such as inappropriate fondling, touching and actual sexual penetration. It can also be emotionally abusive, as in cases where a child is forced to undress or exposing a child to adult sexuality. Aside from the physical damage that sexual abuse can cause, the emotional component is powerful and far reaching. The layer of shame that accompanies sexual abuse makes the behavior doubly traumatizing. While news stories of sexual predators are scary, what is even more frightening is that the adult who sexually abuses a child or adolescent is usually someone the child knows and is supposed to trust: a relative, childcare provider, family friend, neighbor, teacher, coach, or clergy member. Children may worry that others won’t believe them and will be angry with them if they tell. They may believe that the abuse is their fault, and the shame is devastating and can cause lifelong effects.

Signs of sexual child abuse

Behavioral signs. Does the child display knowledge or interest in sexual acts inappropriate to his or her age, or even seductive behavior? A child might appear to avoid another person, or display unusual behavior- either being very aggressive or very passive. Older children might resort to destructive behaviors to take away the pain, such as alcohol or drug abuse, self-mutilation, or suicide attempts.

Physical signs. A child may have trouble sitting or standing, or have stained, bloody or torn underclothes. Swelling, bruises, or bleeding in the genital area is a red flag. An STD or pregnancy, especially under the age of 14, is a strong cause of concern.

Caregiver signs. The caregiver may seem to be unusually controlling and protective of the child, limiting contact with other children and adults. Again, as with other types of abuse, sometimes the caregiver does not give outward signs of concern. This does not mean the child is lying or exaggerating.

http://helpguide.org/mental/child_abuse_physical_emotional_sexual_neglect.htm
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Child Abuse and Neglect Warning Signs of Abuse and How to Report It Empty Re: Child Abuse and Neglect Warning Signs of Abuse and How to Report It

Post by cherylz Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:54 am

Another physical sign of sexual abuse in a little girl is repeated UTI's. An occ. one is not a red flag, but repeated ones are, except of course when there is a structural abnormality.
cherylz
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Child Abuse and Neglect Warning Signs of Abuse and How to Report It Empty Re: Child Abuse and Neglect Warning Signs of Abuse and How to Report It

Post by Wrapitup Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:36 am

Children that are raised by either an alcoholic and/or drug addicted parent or parents run a high risk of many psychological problems in their teens and adult life. I know this first-hand. Many years of therapy - was also emotionally abused. Was told I was a no-good human being amongst other hurtful words.

http://www.hopenetworks.org/addiction/Children%20of%20Addicts.htm
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:16 pm

lindamarie,

great post, great information. The thing that IMO, that is important about your post, is that you are GREAT at sharing "many child cases" with us from murder to abuse to convictions.

I MAKE MYSELF read those topics. I know my heart will break, it will make me sick at my stomach, & my blood pressure will rise. I know that I will be outraged, but, that is WHY it is IMPORTANT to continue to educate ourselves that everysingle day, these atroscities are happening against the most innocent & helpless in our society. When I read your statistics & numbers from your current topic posting, I can read about those cases in the lounge, on in Fillicide. Those statistics have a face, VH has helped give them one.

It would be easier to skip those difficult topics & read about MJ, but, I want to educate myself, follow cases to the end to see the punishment of the scumbags that commit these crimes, because, JMHO, the LAWS need to be changed & sentences lengthened to PUNISH for crimes of our most precious commodity, our children. Thanks!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down