Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andrea Lyon Leaving Casey Anthony Defense Team

+3
jeanne1807
cherylz
frogs
7 posters

Go down

Andrea Lyon Leaving Casey Anthony Defense Team Empty Andrea Lyon Leaving Casey Anthony Defense Team

Post by frogs Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 pm

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A source close to the Casey Anthony investigation tells WESH 2 News that death penalty defense attorney Andrea Lyon is leaving Anthony’s defense team. The source said Lyon made her intentions known more than a week ago.

Lyon has only been a part of the defense team for a little over a year. She filed paperwork in June of 2009 asking for permission to enter the case.

Lyon originally said she said she would prove the Anthony case does not qualify for the death penalty because the state did not have sufficient evidence.

In recent weeks, Judge Belvin Perry has struck down numerous motions by the defense hoping to take the death penalty off the table.

Lyon has been successful in getting prosecutors to reveal their list of five aggravating factors they may use to pursue capitol punishment.

Anthony has successfully petitioned to the court to be declared indigent, meaning her defense is paid by taxpayers. However, the Justice Administrative Commission does not pay for travel for privately retained, out-of-state attorneys like Lyon, who is from Chicago.

Lyon’s participation started to come into question earlier this year with the addition of well-known Orlando criminal defense attorney J. Cheney Mason. He, too, was qualified to try death penalty cases.

According to Lyon’s website, she has defended more than 30 potential capital cases.

Last edited by frogs on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
frogs
frogs

Back to top Go down

Andrea Lyon Leaving Casey Anthony Defense Team Empty Re: Andrea Lyon Leaving Casey Anthony Defense Team

Post by cherylz Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

:trampoline: ... Electric Chair ... chug
cherylz
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Andrea Lyon Leaving Casey Anthony Defense Team Empty Re: Andrea Lyon Leaving Casey Anthony Defense Team

Post by frogs Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:44 pm

I think we all figured she'd be leaving once Cheney Mason showed up and her DP motions were heard and denied. She was the one who practically called KC a whore in open court, knows KC's guilty, and doesn't want to tarnish her sterling record of getting murderers free of death row. I sure hope it's true that she's leaving because I just can't stand to hear her whiny voice. I've read that she sometimes cries in court in front of juries in order to sway them to her side. I truly don't want to be subjected to that!

Last edited by frogs on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to be more succinct!)
frogs
frogs

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Frogs I have to ask. When did she ever call KC a whore in open court?
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Not surprising in the least. And, Cindy said she liked her. :cheering: Sarcasm
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:52 pm

cherylz... :lol!: ROFLMAO rocking smile ha ha Hilarious!!!
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by concerned4all Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Interesting that this article by Andrea Lyon was published today on the Huffington Post:

Fighting the Death Penalty: Hope for Change

Andrea Lyon
Author, Attorney, Professors of Law: DePaul University
Posted: June 30, 2010 01:50 PM

I have spent most of my professional life trying to save my clients from the death penalty. I often get asked questions like, how can I do this work? Wouldn't I want death for someone who killed one of my family? And sometimes the questions are more pejorative than that.

In circumstances where I have been asked to debate the death penalty, I have found recently that proponents of the death penalty have stopped trying to argue it deters crime -- they know it doesn't, or that it costs less -- they know that isn't true either (See for example "The Cost of the Death Penalty in Maryland" which estimates 37 million for one execution). They also have stopped saying that all victims want this, because while some do, many do not. In fact, all of the justifications for the death penalty come down to just one which they effectively argue: retribution. Put another way, many people feel that some people just shouldn't be on this earth, what they did was just too awful. The desire for retribution is a powerful one, and trying to deny someone the "right" to feel that way is foolish.

But here is what I know -- most people don't know these defendants intimately. They don't know their life stories, what circumstances drove them to be where they were and now are, and can't see their humanity until it's placed before them in a sentencing hearing -- if they are lucky enough to see a sentencing hearing done by someone competent and who cares.

It's a selective blindness that we develop -- we can't absorb all the pain around us, so we just don't look. We don't see the homeless man we pass by, or the mentally ill woman who is talking wildly to herself, or the children going to school day after day in the same clothes where they will eat their only meal -- the free school lunch. I am not saying that this blindness, this choice not to see the truth makes us bad, or inhumane -- we have to defend ourselves from overload or we can't do anyone any good. But while no one can do everything, everyone can do something.

And I have chosen to try to tell my clients stories, to help other lawyers tell their clients' stories and teach my students of the value of each of our clients' lives. I have represented gang members, a serial rapist-murderer, several paranoid schizophrenics, battered and abused women, and battered and abused men. Their stories are shocking, desperately moving and occasionally, in spite of everything, downright funny. Some, indeed, committed the acts they were accused of, and some did not. But no matter what they did or did not do, I believe that every person I have defended is a human being of value. Some are terribly damaged; some lack even tenuous connections with reality. Each of their lives tells us about the ways in which individuals and institutions can go horribly astray, but they also reveal what remains human and noble in the midst of such waste.

Once, I defended a young woman for killing the father who had been molesting her since she was five years old. Unfortunately, I made mistakes during the trial and I lost the case. At its conclusion, I rushed to reassure her that we would appeal. What did she say to me -- this young woman facing many many years in prison? "Are you okay? Are you all right to drive? I don't want you to be home alone tonight." She was more worried about me than about her own sad fate. Happily, I did get her conviction reversed on appeal, and we settled for time served in lieu of a new trial.

What this story demonstrates to me is that even people facing the most horrendous prospects are still capable of caring about someone other than themselves. Time and time again, I have seen incarcerated people find within themselves unexpected capacities. Some counsel younger inmates; some mediate family conflicts; many make a positive contribution to the world. And even those who have demonstrated total indifference to the lives of others can change. Redemption is possible. As long as there is life, even if it is a life in prison with no chance of parole, there is hope for change.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
concerned4all
concerned4all

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Andrea Lyon left because they didnt pay her - so much for pro bono work or because you want to save a client
from the death penalty
Article from Orlando Sentinel:

Chicago attorney Andrea Lyon, who joined the Casey Anthony defense team to fight prosecutors' desire to seek the death penalty for the 24-year-old Orlando woman, is no longer on the team.

Lead Anthony attorney Jose Baez confirmed that Lyon has left the defense because of financial issues. He filed paperwork with the Orange County Clerk of Court's office late Wednesday reflecting Lyon's departure.

"We're sad to see her leave, but we completely understand that it's a fiscal reason," Baez said.

He said Lyon will remain "fully accessible to us if we need her at any time."
Local attorney Cheney Mason, a veteran of high-profile murder cases, remains on the team, and Baez said, "You're really not going to notice any difference in the way the team operates."

Casey Anthony's defense will not be jeopardized by the departure, he said.

"She [Lyon] would not have left if she felt it would affect Casey. I know that," Baez said.

Lyon was not immediately available for comment. An outgoing message on her office answering machine said she would not be receiving her voice messages.

In late May 2009, Lyon, a nationally known death-penalty attorney, joined Casey Anthony's defense team.

At that time, her team needed to find a qualified death-penalty attorney who met the state's criteria — which includes five years' trial experience and service as lead attorney in at least nine state or federal jury trials of serious or complex cases.

By then, Lyon, a DePaul University law-school professor, had handled more than 130 murder cases and more than 30 potential capital cases.

Terence M. Lenamon, a Miami death-penalty attorney who briefly worked on the Anthony case, said the loss of Lyon is not good for Casey Anthony's defense.

"In the long run I think it's going to be detrimental to the client," Lenamon said. "I think Andrea is a great lawyer … I'm severely disappointed someone with such great experience and who clearly had the client's best interest in mind is leaving the team."

Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee Marie. The 2-year-old's remains were found Dec. 11, 2008, in woods less than a mile from her family home in east Orange County.

The state is seeking the death penalty against Anthony, and Lyon joined the team for that reason.

Lyon is a clinical professor of law and directs the DePaul law school's Center for Justice in Capital Cases, according to her website. In 1990, she founded the Illinois Capital Resource Center and served as its director until joining the University of Michigan Law School faculty in 1995.

Last year Lyon said prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for "strategic reasons."

"You will hear about those strategic reasons in motions that I will be filing, challenging their right to even ask for the death penalty in these circumstances," Lyon said at the time. "I believe Florida law simply doesn't allow asking for the death penalty in these circumstances."

Baez said that the travel involved with this case and time spent away from her center forced Lyon to leave the team. She needs to focus on that project and help generate revenue there, he said.

Much of her death penalty-related arguments have been filed in motions.

"A good chunk of the work she was doing was completed," Baez said. He added that Mason "has taken on a lot of her responsibilities."

Another long-time attorney with the team, Linda Kenney Baden, also remains. Also, Lyon's private investigator, Mortimer Smith, will remain with the team, Baez said.

He called Lyon a "phenomenal lawyer" and a friend. He said the reasons for her leaving "are purely fiscal."

Casey Anthony is aware of Lyon's departure from the team and was grateful for her work, Baez said.

As for adding new members to the team as the trial approaches, Baez said, "I can't say at this time. If the need arises, yes. If it does not, no."
source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:26 pm

ANDREA’S BODY LANGUAGE SAID IT ALL

A while back I wrote a blog detailing Andrea Lyon’s body language and what it said about her relationship with her client Casey Anthony. In my view Andrea gave off many body language cues that may have indicated she may not have totally believed her client. In fact the following link takes you to the original blog I wrote on Andre Lyon.

Now there is word that she left Casey’s defense team. The reason she apparently gave was because of financial issues. While that may certainly be a possible factor in this economy, to me it doesn’t seem like it is the only reason she is leaving the team.

FINANCIAL REASONS?

First of all, didn’t she know about these financial issues when she s signed up to represent Casey in the first place? I cannot buy the financial issue reason for her leaving. The reason is because when this trial is over- even if Andrea loses the case, I have no doubt that some publisher out there would love to offer her a mid to high six or even a seven figure book deal to tell her side of the story. That certainly would pay for the time incurred for Casey’s legal expenses.

So I think there may be some other reasons working here and it is worth speculating in my view.

PERSONALITY CLASHES AS A REASON?

Perhaps Andrea left the team because of personality issues with other team members. Maybe she clashed with Cheney Mason’s overly confident, if not arrogant personality. After all, this is a man who reported that he would be walking Casey out of jail arm and arm.

Just the fact that Jose Baez made the following comment to reporters makes me wonder if indeed these attorney’s were constantly at one another’s throats . He said “You’re really not going to notice any difference in the way the team operates.”

Of course it will operate differently with one less highly competent and well experience attorney of the team.

HER CENTER NEEDED HER?

When Jose Baez offered up to reporters the reason for her departure -the travel involved with this case and the time spent away from her center, it screamed to me that there was a lot more involved.

Andrea is not a naive attorney. She has handled hundreds of these types of cases over the years and she knows the drill. She has no doubt been away for long stretches of time during her past cases. So what is the difference now? There is no doubt she knew that the case would require travel and being away from her center for long period of time when she first signed on.

JOSE BAEZ LACK OF EXPERIENCE?

Perhaps Andrea was finally turned off by Jose Baez’ lack of experience and knowledge. Perhaps she was tired of telling him what he needed to do and maybe even instructing him even though he was acting as lead attorney.

CINDY ANTHONY?

Perhaps she and Cindy clashed. In their letters to Casey while she sits in jail, both George and Cindy mentioned how much they liked Andrea Lyon.

But Cindy has been known to do a sharp turn on people. Remember the Grunds, Leonard Padilla, and Tim Miller from Equisearch. She starts out embracing people and then, based on what we have seen as a pattern so far, she seems to alienate so many of them. Could this have happened with Cindy and Andrea?

TOO MANY HATERS OUT THERE AND DEATH THREATS?

Andrea Lyon stood up in court and said in front of the judge that people wished her dead for representing Casey.

Did she get some serious death threats that frightened her? Is it possible she said to herself, “This is simply not worth losing my life over.”

Besides the angry mob mentality and possible death threats, did all of the hateful internet posts, letters, and commentary finally get to her?

Did she think that all of that hate must reflect the general public’s sentiment, so realistically there would be no way that her client would be found not guilty.

LOSING TOO MANY MOTIONS?

Did Andrea see the writing on the wall when she saw how Judge Belvin Perry was not about to give Casey any slack and grant any motions.

In fact the last time Andrea appeared in court, all four of her motions were denied. Did she see this as a signal of what lay ahead for her in the case?

IS IT HER EGO AND NOT WANTING TO RUIN HER IMPECCABLE RECORD OF NEVER LOSING A CASE?

Was Andrea Lyon’s ego the reason she left? Her reputation is so outstanding because apparently she never lost a death sentence case. Did she not want to take the chance of Casey’s case being her first humiliating loss?

That may be a very real possibility.

DOES SHE NOT BELIEVE IN HER CLIENT CASEY’S INNOCENCE?

Perhaps the reason why Andrea Lyon never lost as case was because of her passionate work on those cases where she worked with clients in whom she believed in.

Perhaps after spending countless hours with Casey, nurturing her and listening to her, dressing her in what she deemed as proper courtroom attire, (matching operating room green tops) and coaching her, Andrea may have finally realized that she was in the presence of a child killer.

If Casey did come clean with Andrea and told her truth about what happened with Cayleee and what she possibly did to the child, perhaps Andrea’s conscience got the best of her. Perhaps she had no choice but to leave.

On the other hand, if Casey continued to lie and stick to her fabrications, perhaps there was such a communication breakdown between them that Andrea had no choice but to leave.

DID ANDREA WANT OUT OF THE LIMELIGHT?

Perhaps Andrea got sick of her 15 minutes of fame. Perhaps she was no longer willing to deal with all the public scrutiny and all the attention.

The truth is who can blame her? When you put yourself out there or when you are thrown out there, the media analyzes everything you do and say. Perhaps she had enough of it all. At least she could leave the spotlight, unlike her client Casey. She may have no longer wanted any of Casey’s TOXICITY associated with her.

I certainly can’t blame her. I am sure that she did not realize the intensity of the media in this case when she began. While she may have known that the case was high profile, she no doubt had no clue as to how high profile it was and what that would mean in terms of her own privacy.

ANDREA’S SILENCE SAYS IT ALL

The fact that Andrea Lyon hasn’t verbally spoken out to the press or has yet to release a formal statement as to why she is really leaving Casey’s defense team remains a mystery. Maybe She left for ALL the reasons I speculated above. It certainly makes sense .www.drlillianglass.com

artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by frogs Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 pm

jeanne1807: This is a blog by Peter Hyatt (aka seamusoriley) who does statement analysis. I find him to be quite insightful. This was one of his longer posts, so instead of copying it all, I have just supplied the link. I think you will find it enlightening.

frogs
frogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Local attorney Cheney Mason, a veteran of high-profile murder cases, remains on the team, and Baez said, "You're really not going to notice any difference in the way the team operates."
Really? I disagree. We won't get to see pics like this:

even the pen matches!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Caylee Anthony Update: Attorney Leaves the Defense Team, Are We Really Surprised?

Posted on July 1st, 2010 by Jan Barrett

This morning when I got my Google Alert on the Caylee Anthony murder case, I sat back and smiled. Was I surprised? No way! In fact I do believe about 2 weeks ago we discussed this on our Sunday radio show. We predicted that Andrea Lyon would drop out but our reasons are quite different from Bozo’s.

Casey Anthony is being held on charges of first degree murder with the death penalty on the table. The victim was Casey’s very own flesh and blood, a 2 year old baby girl that Casey actually gave birth to, Caylee Anthony. Jose Baez claims to be the lead attorney for Casey but is he even qualified to be the lead attorney in a capital offense case? I don’t think so! In fact I thought that was why Andrea Lyon was brought in on the case but Jose still called the shots.

The next thing we hear is that Cheney Mason was brought in. It doesn’t seem as if he has helped the case at all. I mean after all it was his pushing that ended up getting Judge Stan Strickland to step down by making accusations that were ridiculous. The funny part though is I don’t think any of the defense team expected what they were going to get in place of Strickland. They all looked like happy campers when they found out their plan worked to get rid of Strickland. The first time they appeared in court with the new judge, Belvin Perry, court was not in session for very long before we could see that annoying smirk on Bozo’s face disappear. Even Casey’s flirtatious looks were wiped off of her face. In fact she sat there with that blunt look on her face instead. It was apparent that they were not so happy with the new judge that was brought in to take over Strickland’s seat on the bench.

Now after facing Judge Perry a few times on motions to try and get the death penalty dropped, we predicted that Andrea Lyon would drop the case because she didn’t want to ruin her “perfect” record and it seems we were right except Baez is making it seem like it was for financial issues that Lyon was having. Personally I think that is a load of bull but I could never prove that. Bozo claims that Lyon does believe in Casey but she has personally made financial sacrifices, including out of pocket travel money. (Well duh! Did she really think the taxpayers would want to pay for that?) Bozo says Lyon needs to focus on her responsibilities at the DePaul law school Center for Justice.

The bottom line here is that in my opinion I am sure that she got worried that she wasn’t going to get the death penalty dropped so she decided to back out. She probably wasn’t willing to gamble on Casey being found innocent. Hopefully we all will witness the day when little Caylee Marie Anthony will get the justice she deserves by her mother being found guilty for Caylee’s murder. That baby didn’t deserve to have her life ripped away from her. She will never have the chance to wear makeup, she will never have the chance to date boys, or graduate from high school or go to her senior prom. She will never be able to get married and have a family all of her own. All this was taken from her when she lost her life.

It is so sad and what makes it even sadder is that the grandparents that seemed to love Caylee are making up lies to cover up for the very person who is probably the one responsible for taking Caylee away from them. What a sad situation this is!

May you soon get the justice you deserve Caylee, and then maybe you can rest in peace. The world loves you Caylee and we will never forget you.

Jan Barrett

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down