Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim

3 posters

Go down

Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim  Empty Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim

Post by Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim  Wiscon10
CHILTON, Wis. — A prominent Wisconsin district attorney sent repeated text messages trying to spark an affair with a domestic abuse victim while he was prosecuting her ex-boyfriend, a police report shows.

The 26-year-old woman complained last year to police after receiving 30 texts from Calumet County District Attorney Kenneth Kratz in three days, according to the report obtained by The Associated Press.

"Are you the kind of girl that likes secret contact with an older married elected DA ... the riskier the better?" Kratz, 50, wrote in a message to Stephanie Van Groll in October 2009. In another, he wrote: "I would not expect you to be the other woman. I would want you to be so hot and treat me so well that you'd be THE woman! R U that good?"

Kratz was prosecuting Van Groll's ex-boyfriend on charges he nearly choked her to death last year. He also was veteran chair of the Wisconsin Crime Victims' Rights Board, a quasi-judicial agency that can reprimand judges, prosecutors and police officers who mistreat crime victims.

In a combative interview in his office Wednesday, Kratz did not deny sending the messages and expressed concern their publication would unfairly embarrass him personally and professionally. He said the Office of Lawyer Regulation had found he did not violate any rules governing attorney misconduct. That office cannot comment on investigations.
Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim  Wiscon11
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Read the rest here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim  Empty Re: Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:16 am

Gov. Jim Doyle announced Wednesday he will initiate the process to remove Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz from office. Kratz sent at least one woman, the victim in a domestic violence case he was prosecuting, unwanted sexually suggestive text messages. Two other women, including a woman Kratz recommended for a pardon, have come forward with allegations that he also sent them similar messages.

The process requires a verified complaint from a Calumet County resident, and Doyle received two Wednesday: one from an Appleton woman and one from a Chilton woman.

The Chilton woman is the Rev. Kathleen Gloff, who said she is a volunteer for Harbor House Domestic Abuse programs.

"I am deeply concerned about Kenneth Kratz's sexual harassment of a domestic violence victim as well as his actions towards two other women and believe that his conduct constitutes inefficiency, neglect of duty, official misconduct or malfeasance," she wrote.

The second complaint came from Heather Severson, a two-year resident of Appleton who said her friend, Tracy Judd, was killed in domestic homicide last year.

Documents show Kratz sent Stephanie Van Groll 30 text messages in three days in October 2009 in which he repeatedly sought an affair. At the time, Kratz was prosecuting Van Groll's ex-boyfriend on charges he nearly choked her to death.

In one of the messages, Kratz wrote, "I'm the attorney. I have the $350,000 house. I have the six-figure career. You may be the tall, young, hot nymph, but I am the prize."http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100923/GPG0101/9230532/Doyle-begins-process-of-removing-Kratz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim  Empty Re: Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:18 am

Two more women said Tuesday they had received sexually suggestive communications from a Wisconsin prosecutor under fire for sending racy text messages to a domestic abuse victim, bringing the number of women who've accused him of inappropriate conduct to four.

Law student Maria Ruskiewicz said she believes Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz wanted sexual favors in return for supporting her pardon for a decade-old drug charge.

Another woman has told attorney Michael R. Fox, who represents the first woman to accuse Kratz of misconduct, that the prosecutor harassed her several years ago after she was a victim of domestic violence. Fox said the woman asked that her name be kept private.

"She has described behavior that includes phone calls, e-mails and at least one visit to her house," Fox said Tuesday night.

Ruskiewicz said she met Kratz in his office in 2008; afterward, the Oklahoma City University law student said Kratz sent her text messages that soon turned harassing, including one that asked how she would please him in bed.

"The reason why I'm coming forward is he abuses his power, not only with women, but with women in certain situations who are extremely vulnerable to his authority," Ruskiewicz, 31, an Appleton native, told The Associated Press in a phone interview.

Gov. Jim Doyle pardoned her last month, a move Kratz supported.

Kratz has acknowledged sending 30 text messages in three days last year to the domestic abuse victim, Stephanie Van Groll, while he was prosecuting her ex-boyfriend. In the messages, Kratz asked whether Van Groll was "the kind of girl that likes secret contact with an older married elected DA."

A second woman, Dawn King, complained to Doyle's office last week that Kratz invited her to an autopsy after they went to dinner "provided I act as his girlfriend and would wear high heels and a skirt." The governor has blasted Kratz's behavior, if true, as an abuse of power.

Kratz's attorney, Bob Craanen, on Tuesday denied that Kratz invited King to witness the autopsy. "This is just a complete fabrication," Craanen said. Reached Tuesday, King said she stands by her story.

Kratz announced Monday he was going on medical leave indefinitely but has rejected calls from lawmakers, his peers and victims' advocates to resign.

Craanen said he did not know anything about Ruskiewicz's claims when asked about it on Tuesday and could not reach Kratz, who is receiving inpatient therapy.

Ruskiewicz said she went to Kratz in 2008 asking for his support for her pardon application and career advice before she entered law school. She said Kratz agreed to support her and they met in his office, where he asked her an odd question about whether a boss could have a sexual relationship with a secretary. She was confused but grateful for his support.

He gave her his cell phone number, and she texted him later to thank him for the help — a move she now calls a mistake.

She said his messages soon turned sexual. She recalled him texting while he was on vacation in Michigan with his family asking how she would "please him between the sheets while he takes a nap."

Ruskiewicz said she didn't know to respond because she did not want to alienate Kratz, who was critical for her pardon, which in turn was critical for her legal career. After discussing the matter with relatives, she politely told him she was not interested and he said he would stop.

She said she didn't hear from him for a couple of months but then got a message in which he demanded they meet "in person," a request she said was disturbing. At the time, she was just starting law school at Oklahoma City University of Law, where she plans to graduate in May.

Deborah Felice, the associate dean for students at the law school, said she met with Ruskiewicz at her request on Sept. 25, 2008, to discuss how to handle the messages.

Felice said she and Ruskiewicz met with the university's top lawyer to discuss the case. They ultimately decided the best course of action was to ignore Kratz and hope that he would go away, which eventually happened.

"He is just some jerk lawyer that doesn't need to be in her life as she's starting law school," Felice said. She said she spoke with Ruskiewicz a few weeks later and the messages had stopped, and "that's the last I heard of it until this morning," when she saw a segment on "Good Morning America" about Kratz.

Ruskiewicz turned to Richard Ginkowski, assistant district attorney in Kenosha County, for help, and he advised her on options for recourse if she desired, including reporting the matter to the Office of Lawyer Regulation. She stayed quiet until Tuesday.

Gov. Jim Doyle said Monday that he would begin the process to remove Kratz from office once he receives an official complaint from a Calumet County resident. On Tuesday, Calumet County Board Sup. Joe Mueller obliged, sending a complaint to the governor's office, County Clerk Beth Hauser said. Hauser said she didn't have a copy of the complaint, and efforts to reach Mueller Tuesday evening weren't successful.http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime_and_courts/article_296bfafc-c5ae-11df-8ec1-001cc4c03286.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:20 am

I wonder how many lawyers who had a client convicted by him will file appeals and win them. What a dirty dog. I am glad he is being removed from office.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne1807 Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:42 am

When I was a younger...woman working in my office there was the same situation as above.

We all worked with this young woman and knew her story. She too had filed a domestic complaint against her step father.

The prosecutor was on her hot and heavy. We all advised her but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. She seemed to like the attention.

The gals all took and documented the calls from him to her. They recognized his voice..it was distinct.

We all warned her over and over and she giggled and took all of his calls. He was married with children and she was single.

What can you do? They were both consenting adults in my mind. It did stir up quite a bit of "talk" in the office.

I guess my point in all of this is they can't text and call one another and then call foul one about the other.

Do I think he was wrong for calling a victim? Of course I do but she accepted his call and even called him.

These women were no dumb bunnies at least the one I worked with. She knew what was cooking and accepted his calls and to be honest other things he gave her because their relationship progressed to a meeting for coffee stage. Maybe more. She left out a lot of details and giggled quite a bit when asked.
jeanne1807
jeanne1807

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:06 am

I see what you’re saying jeanne. However she is a victim. A victim of domestic abuse. Then the DA further victimized her. Now what about all those cases where he was the prosecutor and had relationships with the Victim? Any and all cases this puke of a DA handled are going to be appealed. Possibly releasing criminals back on the streets.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:39 am

Prosecuter "Sexting" Abuse Victim In Wisconsin
by: Robin Marty 23 hours ago

It seems it would be a pretty simple rule: if you are prosecuting a case, you do not get involved with the people in the case. But that rule was broken in Wisconsin, when District Attorney Ken Kratz not only tried to get involved with the victim of a domestic abuse case he was prosecuting, but sexted her.

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

A member of the board that monitors fairness in Wisconsin's lawyer regulation system is defending its inaction against the prosecutor who "sexted" a crime victim.

Kenosha lawyer Terry Rose said the Office of Lawyer Regulation should not revisit its decision to clear Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz.

Rose said Kratz's text messages seeking to kindle an affair with a domestic abuse victim while he was prosecuting her ex-boyfriend were poor judgment but not an ethics violation. He said that's in part because the woman technically was a witness, not his client.

Regardless of whether she was a client or just a witness, it would appear to me that trying to start a relationship with someone who was abused by her partner while you are in fact in a position of power over both of them (for the abuser, to attempt to put him in jail, and for the victim, as the person who can "save her" from his abuse) is a huge ethical breach, not just "poor judgment." It would be the equivalent of a doctor providing treatment to a patient while trying to conduct an affair with the patient's spouse.

Kratz's lawyer says that the issue should be handled by the voters, who can choose not to reelect the DA. But why should voters get to decide how an ethical breach should be handled, and how many other women who have been through domestic abuse could the lawyer also use "poor judgment" on, in the meantime?

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim  Empty Read The Ken Kratz Text Messages

Post by NiteSpinR Tue May 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Read a list of some of the text messages that Ken Kratz sent trying to spark an affair with a domestic abuse victim, according to police reports.

NOTE: It is unclear how the woman's responses match up with Kratz's text messages. Her answers are generally short, ranging from "ok" to explaining where she is in life and questioning what Kratz's wife would say.

Kratz: It was nice talking with you! Feel free to text me (between 8 and 4) if you are bored. You have such potential. See ya. KEN (your favorite DA).

Kratz: I'm not worried...well maybe just a little. I'm more curious what made me text you?

Kratz: Ok. We'll go with that answer. Thanks for putting up with me so far. I wish you weren't one of this office's clients. You'd be a cool person to know!

Kratz: No text yet today? I'm feeling ignored. Are you even up yet?

Kratz: Oh no. I hope you feel better. Do you need me to bring some chicken soup.

Kratz: I can do, but you are awfully sweet. Just don't tell anyone, ok?

Kratz: Seriously I hope you feel better soon. Please keep in touch. Its maybe not the wisest thing

Kratz: How about a margarita? That has some fruit juice in it!

Kratz: I know this is wrong. I am such a honest guy, and straight shooter...but I have to know more about you. Does that make sense to you? I bet u get this a lot!

Kratz: Are u the kind of girl that likes secret contact with an older married elected DA...the riskier the better? Or do you want to stop right now before any issues?

Kratz: I need direction from you. Yes you are a risk taker and can keep your mouth shut and you think this is fun. or you think a man twice your age is creepy so stop

Kratz: Ok. No problem. Either way I think you are very nice. I am very smart, but know this is ALL up to you and really does depend how close to the edge you live!

Kratz: Still wondering if I'm worth it?

Kratz: Can I help you answer any questions?

Kratz: You don't say much, do you?

Kratz: When you are that pretty, I guess you don't have to! (now the compliments start).

Kratz: Its true. Why would such a successful, respected attorney be actling like he's in 7th grade? Are you worried about me?

Kratz: You should never lie to me! Obviously we have talents and things to offer that the other is intrigued by, or you would have called me creepy! You wanna accept

Kratz: Me either. Its supid. Have u ever been spoiled by someone? I mean like being taken care of and spoil him with attention in return? Without ever saying no?

Kratz: If you are not worth that kind of passion, we'll know it right away. For now I'm just suggesting we find out. Its either perfect or I'm not going to do it!

Kratz: Hey..Miss Communication, what's with the sticking point? Your low self-esteem and you fear you can't successfully play in my big sandbox? Or???

Kratz: I'm leaving for the day. Let me know after 8 tomorrow. You will be either excited or grossed out about the opportunity you have. But it will only come once!

Kratz: What do you hope your life looks like in 5 yrs? What kind of residence? A job, making how much in the household? A relationship with what kind of guy? $$$?

Kratz: How are you feeling today. You stopped talking yesterday.

Kratz: Are you serious? Ok? That's it? Are you busy? Are you in a board meeting? You are beautiful and would make a great young partner someday. But I won't beg!

Kratz: I'm serious! Im the atty. I have the $350,000 house. I have the 6-figure career. You may have the tall, young, hot nymph, but I am the prize! Start convincing

Kratz: Finally an opinion. I would not expect you to be the other woman. I would want you to be so hot and treat me so well that you'd be THE woman! R U that good?

Kratz: You forgot to write me for the last time saying you could never give me enough attention to steal me away, and you are so modest that you wouldn't know how to!

Kratz: And that you may look good at first glance, but women that are blonde, 6ft tall, long legs and great bodies don't like to be shown off or to please their men!

NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim  Empty Former DA Admits He Was 'Popping Xanax Like A Pez Dispenser' When He Sent Abuse Victim Sleazy Text Messages

Post by NiteSpinR Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 pm

June 20, 2012

A sex addicted former district attorney from Wisconsin said he was 'popping Xanax like it was a Pez dispenser' when he sent sleazy text messages to a vulnerable domestic abuse victim.

Ex-Calumet County District Attorney Kenneth Kratz sent Stephanie Van Groll, now 28, three dozen sexually-charged text messages over three days in October 2009, while he was prosecuting her abusive ex-boyfriend.
Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim  Articl17
In the inappropriate texts, the 52-year-old asked her 'are you the kind of girl that likes secret contact with an older married elected DA... the riskier the better?'

In another message, he said: 'I would not expect you to be the other woman. I would want you to be so hot and treat me so well that you'd be THE woman! R U that good?'

Ms Van Groll told Wisconsin police at the time that she felt pressured to have a relationship with Mr Kratz and feared that if she did not do so he would drop charges against her ex-boyfriend.

Mr Kratz is now waiting to hear whether he'll be stripped of his law license after pleading no contest to a charge of conflict of interest, two counts of sexual harassment and three counts of exhibiting an offensive personality at a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday.

In his testimony, the disgraced Mr Kratz told Wisconsin's Office of Lawyer Regulations he suffered narcissistic personality disorder and that the illness teamed with his prescription narcotics addiction triggered his sexual compulsion and the inappropriate behaviour.

'It creates a recipe for apocalyptic bad decisions and that's exactly what happened,' he said.

'All of your filters that you've developed are turned to the off position. It was the combination of the disorder and being dependent on prescription drugs.'

Mr Kratz, who resigned in 2010 shortly before proceedings to remove him from office were to begin, said he became addicted to Xanax and Ambien, which were respectively prescribed for anxiety and sleeping problems.

He recognised his dependency when he was being treated for sexual compulsion and suffered harsh withdrawal symptoms.

The charges against Mr Kratz also included allegations that he made crude, sexually explicit comments to a Calumet County social worker.

According to FDL Reporter, the former district attorney drew a comparison between sex addiction and eating disorders during his testimony.

He claimed both involved compulsion but unlike those with eating disorders society didn't believe those with sexual compulsions were ill and required treatment.

'They're perverts,' he said.

The former district attorney said he didn't want his addictions to be viewed as an excuse but rather to answer the question, 'why would somebody so smart do something so stupid? (The texts) clearly shouldn't have happened.'

Two of his former staff members at the Calumet County District Attorney’s Office and a former investigator with the Calumet County Sheriff’s Department testified for Mr Kratz but said they were shocked by his behaviour.

Mr Kratz didn't ask that his law license be spared. 'I'm going to surrender this fate to the referee and to the Supreme Court,' he said.

The former district attorney, who claims his wife has left him since finding out about the text messages, will learn his fate on July 21.

He is expected to lose his license for six months.

NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down

Wis. prosecutor accused of 'sexting' abuse victim  Empty Sexting Lawsuit Against Former DA Kratz Settled

Post by NiteSpinR Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 pm

February 13th, 2013

A settlement has been reached in lawsuit against a former Calumet County district attorney accused of sending racy text messages to a domestic abuse victim, federal court records show.

Stephanie Van Groll accused former prosecutor Ken Kratz of sexual harassment for allegedly sending her a barrage of messages, including some propositioning her, while he was prosecuting her ex-boyfriend in 2009. Kratz resigned as DA in 2010 after The Associated Press reported he had tried to spark an affair with the woman. More women later came forward and accused Kratz of sexual harassment.

No details of the settlement were released, WLUK-TV reported Tuesday. Van Groll was seeking unspecified damages in her lawsuit. The trial had been scheduled to begin next week in Green Bay.

Kratz, who was 50 when he sent the texts, called the then-25-year-old Van Groll a “hot nymph” and advertised himself as “the prize. “She reported the texts to police. State prosecutors declined to charge him, and she sued.

Kratz’s attorney, Ted Tornehl, and Van Groll’s attorney, Michael Fox, did not immediately respond to Wednesday phone messages from the AP seeking comment.

Kratz asked for the lawsuit to be dismissed in 2011, arguing that the “flirtatious text messages” that he sent weren’t sufficient to support Van Groll’s assertion that her constitutional rights were violated.

Wisconsin’s Office of Lawyer Regulation recommended that the state Supreme Court suspend Kratz’s law license for six months. Kratz asked for just a formal reprimand, saying he had suffered enough, had been forced into bankruptcy and deserved a chance to rebuild his career. He testified at a hearing last year that he was addicted to sex and prescription drugs at the time. The court hasn’t issued a decision yet.

NiteSpinR
NiteSpinR
Tech Support Admin
Tech  Support  Admin

Back to top Go down