Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Casey Live in Court on Indigency Hearing - March 18, 2009 - Strickland deferred Answer/ A new attorney, J. Cheney Mason, is now on the defense team Pro Bono/New information of letters Casey wrote to another inmate.

+7
cherylz
lisette
frogs
charminglane
artgal16
Nama
Wrapitup
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Casey Live in Court on Indigency Hearing - March 18, 2009 - Strickland deferred Answer/ A new attorney, J. Cheney Mason, is now on the defense team Pro Bono/New information of letters Casey wrote to another inmate. - Page 3 Empty More TV Guy

Post by Nama Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:51 pm

While locked in the Orange County Jail, Casey Anthony wrote 258 pages of notes and letters to another woman inmate, prosecutors disclosed Thursday, and they may be used as evidence in her murder case.

Authorities would not say what's in the notes, only that they don't include a confession.

On Thursday, for the second time in as many months, Circuit Judge Stan Strickland placed them under seal, ruling that defense attorneys should have at least 15 days to review them without the public knowing their contents.

The name of woman who received them was not clear Thursday, but just-released prosecution records listed new pieces of evidence against Anthony, and on that list were two recorded interviews with Robyn Adams, 33, the wife of a former Altamonte Springs police officer.

She and her husband were arrested July 21, 2008, after setting up a marijuana grow house in Chuluota, intending to grow 2,000 pounds of pot, according to federal court records. She pleaded guilty to conspiracy and a weapons count and was sentenced to ten years in prison last year.

She's currently in a minimum security federal prison in Tallahassee.

Her attorney, Tom Dale, said he had no information about whether Adams was the woman who received the notes.

"All I can tell you is I knew they were in there together," Dale said of the Orange County Jail.

Both women were in "protective custody," he said. That's a section of the jail where prisoners are segregated from other inmates. Adams was there because she was the wife of a police officer.

Anthony, 23, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony.

The child disappeared a year and a half ago. Her remains were found five months later.

Anthony has been in the Orange County Jail since July 16, 2008.

Authorities handed over the notes to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for an investigation, including, apparently, into whether any corrections officers committed wrongdoing by helping the women communicate.

The woman who received the notes told FDLE agents she did not want to "get anyone in trouble" but said a county corrections officer may have helped the women stay in touch, according to prosecution records.

FDLE spokeswoman Carol Frederick said her agency had finished its work and turned the matter over to the Orange-Osceola State Attorney's Office.

Jail officials scrambled Thursday to find out more about the notes and any employee involvement. Spokesman Allen Moore said he had no information about them .

Authorities found out about the notes when another female inmate – this one in state custody – contacted the Orange County Sheriff's Office, saying she, too, had had communications with Anthony while in jail.

Authorities interviewed that woman Jan. 22, and she gave "potentially relevant" information, according to prosecution paperwork, but, again, it was not news that Anthony had confessed.

That inmate also gave authorities the name of the federal inmate who had received the notes.

The information about the notes was initially sealed from the public and Anthony's attorneys Feb. 24 by Strickland. Paperwork that confirmed their existence was unsealed this week because the FDLE concluded its investigation.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Casey Live in Court on Indigency Hearing - March 18, 2009 - Strickland deferred Answer/ A new attorney, J. Cheney Mason, is now on the defense team Pro Bono/New information of letters Casey wrote to another inmate. - Page 3 Empty Re: Casey Live in Court on Indigency Hearing - March 18, 2009 - Strickland deferred Answer/ A new attorney, J. Cheney Mason, is now on the defense team Pro Bono/New information of letters Casey wrote to another inmate.

Post by artgal16 Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Regarding the hearing did anyone hear Baez say that he was retained June 17th? They are making a lot of this on other blogs - if this is true, then this is pretty huge wouldnt you all agree?
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Casey Live in Court on Indigency Hearing - March 18, 2009 - Strickland deferred Answer/ A new attorney, J. Cheney Mason, is now on the defense team Pro Bono/New information of letters Casey wrote to another inmate. - Page 3 Empty Re: Casey Live in Court on Indigency Hearing - March 18, 2009 - Strickland deferred Answer/ A new attorney, J. Cheney Mason, is now on the defense team Pro Bono/New information of letters Casey wrote to another inmate.

Post by Nama Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 pm

by artgal16 Today at 9:27 pm Regarding the hearing did anyone hear Baez say that he was retained June 17th? They are making a lot of this on other blogs - if this is true, then this is pretty huge wouldnt you all agree?
I didn't catch that in the hearing, but I was typing and listening.... not good! This is HUGE if it's true. I think there is so much more that's going to come out in this case that we don't know yet!
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by laga Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Does anyone understand the point he was making, I don't....
New defense attorney Cheney Mason told reporters, “Ask the state of Florida to tell all of you all how much they have spent so far in prosecuting this case, then talk to me about whether this is fair.”
laga
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:08 pm

by laga Today at 10:01 pm Does anyone understand the point he was making, I don't....
New defense attorney Cheney Mason told reporters, “Ask the state of Florida to tell all of you all how much they have spent so far in prosecuting this case, then talk to me about whether this is fair.”
I would guess that he thinks the defense should have as much money as the prosecution.......to make it a fair game. Poor picked on Casey! It\\'s Not Fair umno
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:14 pm

I noticed that KC was dressed in stripes today...Better get used to it dancing
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Casey Live in Court on Indigency Hearing - March 18, 2009 - Strickland deferred Answer/ A new attorney, J. Cheney Mason, is now on the defense team Pro Bono/New information of letters Casey wrote to another inmate. - Page 3 Empty Read Motion filed to Delay Discovery and watch the entire court hearing

Post by Nama Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Casey Anthony made a court appearance today, regarding her status as indigent. The court appearance brought some new evidence to the surface as the case prepares for trial in May, 2011. During today’s hearing it was revealed that Casey has been writing an inmate and has sent approximately fifty letters. The letters have been obtained by F.D.L.E. and will soon be made public. You may watch the full court hearing in the video player below.

Casey Anthony also has a new defense attorney: J. Chesney Mason. Casey Anthony has applied for indigency status in order to pay for her legal team. J. Chesney Mason has agreed to join the case pro bono. During the course of today’s events, it was revealed that ABC had paid Casey $200,000, those funds are now gone.

As for the letters, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office states that they were contacted by the inmate who had been in communication with Casey Anthony. The inmate was interviewed in January 2010 and discussed the nature of their conversation and revealed the name of a second inmate who had been in contact with Casey. The FDLE and Orange County Sheriffs tracked down the letters and have stated that they ‘do appear to contain relevant statements of the Defendant, which are not in the nature of a confession.

The letters were to be made public today, but that might change as Casey Anthony's defense team wants to keep them private.

Wish I would have seen this before I posted all the YouTube videos. Maybe the missing parts 4 and 9 are included on this video. :lol!:
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by cherylz Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:06 am

I watched NG last night. She played clips of the hearing. KC sat there holding back chuckles for a good part of the day. "What is so funny KC? Your daughter is dead. You have been in prison for 1 1/2 years. Your parents are suffering and will most likely divorce when this is all said and done. What is so funny?" 🇳🇴
cherylz
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by laga Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:28 am

BJ in OR wrote:
by laga Today at 10:01 pm Does anyone understand the point he was making, I don't....
I would guess that he thinks the defense should have as much money as the prosecution.......to make it a fair game. Poor picked on Casey! It\\'s Not Fair umno

I think you're right BJ, that is his point, I would love to argue it with him. Fair and equal are different and while the law says each defendent is entitled to a "fair" trial, the meaning of fair has nothing to do with monies spent. The intent of the law is to assure noone has their civil rights violated, that the evidence is true and factual, that any exculpatory evidence be admitted. The victim here is Caylee and the state is obligated to speak for her and see that the person who violated her civil rights be prosecuted. All this guy can talk about is money??... well whatever money spent to see the GUILTY party held accountable for the death of an innocent child is money well spent, but is that "fair"? I think not! Is it fair that a mother can murder her own child and throw her away like garbage, tell lie after lie, and sit in a courtroom and find something about which she can laugh and giggle? I think not!
laga
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilone Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:17 am

I did not read all the previous comments (too much repetition). I would like to make a couple of comments of my own...

I think Cheney is betting on reasonable doubt, although I have seen nothing that would convince me that there is one iota of "reasonable" doubt.

Caylee is dead. Her remains were found with layers of duct tape over her mouth just like George's own tape. The decomp in the trunk, along with a host of witnesses who will testify that the odor was that of human decomposition, is very telling. Casey's lying about what happened to Caylee doesn't provide any "reasonable" doubt. What is reasonable about a mother lying about the disappearance of her child?

I realize we may know a lot more than what will be allowed in court, but I can't forget the pants that Cindy washed, the text between Casey & Amy about how the car smelled like death (several days before the car was abandoned), and the fact that she partied hardy after Caylee was gone. Those are all very telling pieces of evidence. Casey was not disturbed that her baby was missing. She was actually enjoying her new-found freedom and refused to report Caylee's disappearance to save her own a_s. She as much as said so herself.

That's not the way an innocent mother would react. IMO, there's no "reasonable" doubt. She's guilty, guilty, guilty.

Last edited by Lilone on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Lilone
Lilone

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 am

I think that KC has already decided that she will be incarcerated for a very long time, if not forever...The jail notes indicate that she is already "making a life for herself", forming friendships, and getting herself a little "kingdom" to rule over...She thinks she can manipulate and lie to her new society and be the center of attention...She is a true sociopath, I think, with no conscience and using others to feed her narcissistic personality...
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by laga Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Pediatrican Bradley's two private lawyers left the case after the attorney general's office moved to freeze his assets, making it difficult for them to hire experts and mount a defense.

Why didn't something like this happen in kc's case? I think it is a disgrace that the victim is used to make the money for a defense of the murderer. Not only is the victim used but actually the act of murder itself is used because that is the way the photos, interview, etc were made "valuable" to the media. Now that bozo and abc have admitted the payment, I wish FL's attorney general would rule those monies could not be used for the defense and must be refunded, especially now that she has been declared indigent from here on out. It just makes me sick to think she murdered her, threw her away like trash, partied and didn't give a damn or even a second thought, then lied and let her little body stay there abandoned and decomposing, while many strangers spent time, energy and money searching for her. Now our tax dollars keep her in food and shelter and will pay for a defense team with as many experts as they can hire on and as many tests and other costs they can dream up, while she giggles and laughs and makes pen pal friends. I hope I am still alive the day this one is sent to her maker, 'cause I want to be there.
laga
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Amen, laga! Again, she has no conscience to do what she did and then benefit from it without a second thought...GA and CA too! I do think GA has felt pangs of guilt at times, but CA is as sociopathic as her daughter...And I wonder about Lee...Has he distanced himself from this family because he knows what they have done? Or is he still involved, but keeping a low profile? :idk:
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by cherylz Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Laga, your thoughts really made me ponder the fact that Caylee...precious Caylee...the only victim in this case ---is actually in death helping to fund her murderer's defense team. I really hadn't stopped to think of this before. That is just so very WRONG. :mad:
cherylz
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by artgal16 Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Yes and ABC has been chastized for paying for videos and photos that helped the defense -and Disney owns
ABC outrageous!
artgal16
artgal16

Back to top Go down

Post by cherylz Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Yep, and little Caylee...I remember a pic of her wearing those Minnie Mouse ears that they sell down at Disney. Instead of being chastized...too bad the defense couldn't be ordered to give the $$ back. This would set an example...that in no way should a victim in death have her memories sold for profit.
cherylz
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by Heike Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Hmmm, relevant, but not confessional. I wish they would have said incriminating, but not confessional!

However, having said that, it is VERY difficult to imagine how Casey's persona could play out in 258 pages without being at the very least, telling of her state of mind. It would be wonderful if there were also a few juicy slips...while she was focused on the me me me, something she didn't notice flowing out!

xoxo
Heike
Heike
Heike

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:33 pm

I am wondering if ABC can some way get the $ back. If they are deemed in the wrong by their attorney's for paying for pics of Caylee, is their anyway they can DEMAND the money to be re-paid to them??? Not that Bozo has it, and I'll be damned if I believe that he spent it all on the defense. He was probably wining and dining and buying expensive suits. What an ass.

As far as ABC, they need to do something and do it quickly as they have lost mucho credability and many are boycotting them. If their ratings plummet, it will have a major domino effect on many in "show business".
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Heike Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Kathie,

I do not know if the small percentage of viewers that actually know ABC paid for pictures of Caylee and feel passionately about it could even be a drop in the bucket? I am always stunned to find that maybe 1 in 5 people I ask or mention the case to have even heard of Caylee Anthony, and then they only know it was a little girl whose mom killed her.

Sad
xoxo
Heike
Heike
Heike

Back to top Go down

Post by cherylz Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:09 pm

Heike...first of all a big hello! I hope all is well.

And yes...it is so amazing that so few ppl even know who Caylee Anthony is, never mind what happened to her. 1 out of 5 is being generous. It is SO sad. I gave up trying to bring it up to family and friends. At least I have you guys to talk about this case with. And other cases too. These victims will never be forgotten. I know that I will especially keep Caylee in my heart until the day I die.
cherylz
cherylz

Back to top Go down

Post by Heike Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Cheryl!

Exactly! I hope that you are well too! Happy Spring!

xoxo
Heike
Heike
Heike

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:15 pm

You are both correct. It boggles my mind that most people don't keep up on this case, but then again..people work and have lives of their own. At least in Florida, it is extremely well known, and thank God because Baez w/probably be granted a change of venue.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:22 pm

So true, everyone...Very few are "experts" on this case like all us VH members...
In fact, KC would be crushed if she only knew how little her "fame" is actually known to the rest of society outside of her local area...
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Heike Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:02 pm

It is soooo true! Having been such a huge part of our lives, it is hard to imagine. Of course there is national attention, but not eveyone watches Nancy Grace, etc.
I feel like it is TAKING forever to get justice for Caylee!

Hopefully the letters get released next Thursday! That will be a first for us....that much insight into her since being in jail.

Happy Weekend!

xoxo
Heike
Heike
Heike

Back to top Go down

Post by Heike Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:17 pm

THANK you! I try to pop in when I can to catch up, but do not always post, life is so consuming these days! I am going to try to make more time! xoxo
Heike
Heike

Back to top Go down

Casey Live in Court on Indigency Hearing - March 18, 2009 - Strickland deferred Answer/ A new attorney, J. Cheney Mason, is now on the defense team Pro Bono/New information of letters Casey wrote to another inmate. - Page 3 Empty Casey Anthony Case: YOU Are Paying For Her Defense

Post by Nama Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:31 am

The Casey Anthony case may turn into the Trial of the Century. Since grandmother Cindy Anthony picked up the phone and called 911 on July 15, 2008, because her granddaughter was missing and her daughter’s vehicle’s trunk smelled like “death,” the nation has followed the story. And when Orange County law enforcement grew tired of Casey Anthony’s strange behavior and misleading information and arrested her for the murder of her 2-year-old daughter in October 2008, the nation only grew more interested. And when the remains of Caylee Anthony were found in a wooded area in December 2008 just houses from her grandparents home outside Orlando, the nation could not turn its attention away.
There hasn’t been a trial that has captured the imagination of so many since the O. J. Simpson Trial. Before that it was the Tate – La Bianca (Charles Manson) murder trial. And before that, it was the Bruno Hauptman Lindbergh baby kidnapping trial. They were all “Trials of the Century.” The Casey Anthony trial looks to be one of equal magnitude.
It has been nearly 18 months since Casey Anthony’s arrest. The defense has pushed the first degree murder trial back until at least May 2011. And in the meantime, Casey Anthony has run out of money to pay for her defense. Her lawyers stipulated that defense costs had amassed to over $250,000. Jose Baez, Casey’s personal attorney, had been paid $89,000 since taking her case in 2008. Many of the attorneys working on her case, however, had and were still working pro bono.
What all that means is that the Florida and American taxpayer (think of all those tourists in the Orlando area paying sales and gas taxes) will foot the bill for at least part of the defense. Judge Stan Strickland ruled that Casey Anthony was now indigent, despite nearly $300,000 taken in for her defense, and that the state of Florida would now shoulder the financial burden of defense costs. Attorneys fees would not, however, be covered.
By the time Casey Anthony’s trial begins, if it begins in May of 2011 as scheduled and if donations and other means of financial assistance are not found for or offered the defense, their costs could, judging from the amount already expended, reach somewhere in the neighborhood of $175,000.
And then there will be the death penalty phase if she is convicted…
So the national audience that has been so enraptured and galvanized by the story of Caylee Anthony’s death and the subsequent incarceration and legal maneuverings of the Casey Anthony defense team will apparently have to hope that the forthcoming Trial of the Century lives up to its hype. Because they are paying for it. And one always hopes to get what one pays for…

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3