Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing teen, Brittney Kustes, found alive in Kentucky; alleged captor & registered sex offender, Roy Vernon Elwell, at large

2 posters

Go down

Missing teen, Brittney Kustes, found alive in Kentucky; alleged captor & registered sex offender, Roy Vernon Elwell, at large Empty Missing teen, Brittney Kustes, found alive in Kentucky; alleged captor & registered sex offender, Roy Vernon Elwell, at large

Post by Wrapitup Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:10 pm

By the CNN Wire Staff
July 27, 2010 8:23 p.m. EDT

Brittney Kustes, 19, was last seen July 17 at her grandparents' home near Louisville, Kentucky,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Brittney Kustes, 19, was last seen July 17
Witnesses have reported seeing her with 34-year-old sex offender Roy Elwell
Her mother says Elwell introduced Kustes to methamphetamine
"She hated this guy, actually," her mother says

(CNN) -- A 19-year-old Kentucky woman who has been missing for more than a week is believed to be with a registered sex offender who has a history of kidnapping and unlawful confinement, authorities said Tuesday.

Brittney Kustes was last seen July 17 at her grandparents' home in Brooks, just south of Louisville, according to Detective Scott Mcgaha of the Bullitt County Sheriff's Office.

Witnesses told police that sex offender Roy Vernon Elwell, 34, was seen driving up and down the street where Kustes' grandparents live on the day she disappeared.
"Shortly after, she was gone," Mcgaha told CNN.

Since her disappearance, multiple people, including friends of Elwell's, have reported seeing the pair in Louisville and the surrounding areas.
"We think they're staying close because Elwell has contacts here" and a built-in support system, Mcgaha said.
Kustes' mother says her daughter has a history with Elwell.

"This guy came into my daughter's life with drugs," Laurie Kustes told CNN affiliate WHAS. She said the last time Elwell was with her daughter, Brittney returned home addicted to methamphetamine, a drug habit she had recently kicked.
Mcgaha, who knows Kustes personally, said he ran into the teen shortly before her disappearance, and she told him that she cleaned up her life.
"She looked really good," he said.
Her mother echoed those words, telling WHAS, "She was doing great. We talked every day. There was no problems for her to take off and leave. She hated this guy, actually."

Mcgaha indicated that Kustes appears to be in Elwell's custody against her will.
"What I believe from the information that we're getting is that drugs are being given to her," he said.
Laurie Kustes told HLN's "Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell" Tuesday night that "it's a very sick, sick situation."

"There is no way she left with him intending not to come back," she said.
Kustes told "Issues" that people who have apparently seen the pair have told police that her daughter "has tried to get away from him (Elwell)."
"She's tried to use her cell phone and he's in control of everything," Kustes said.
Mcgaha said that Elwell knows police want to speak with him about Kustes. Friends of Elwell's have told police that he laughs off requests to come in to the sheriff's office, according to Mcgaha.
However, Mcgaha told "Issues" that "the tips are getting stronger ... and hopefully we're going to find them soon."

Meanwhile, Elwell has been found to be non-compliant with the laws of the state's sex offender registry as he continues to evade police. The Class D felony carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, Mcgaha said.

Last edited by Wrapitup on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Missing teen, Brittney Kustes, found alive in Kentucky; alleged captor & registered sex offender, Roy Vernon Elwell, at large Empty Re: Missing teen, Brittney Kustes, found alive in Kentucky; alleged captor & registered sex offender, Roy Vernon Elwell, at large

Post by Guest Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:01 am

OMG. It is really a helpless feeling when your adult children are out of control. Meth is a hard drug to kick. Even when you think you have it beat it is so easy to fall back in to it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Missing teen, Brittney Kustes, found alive in Kentucky; alleged captor & registered sex offender, Roy Vernon Elwell, at large Empty Re: Missing teen, Brittney Kustes, found alive in Kentucky; alleged captor & registered sex offender, Roy Vernon Elwell, at large

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:34 am

Brittney Kustes Missing: Police Say Ky. Woman is Likely with Sex Offender
July 27, 2010 11:27 AM
Brittney Kustes Missing: Police Say Ky. Woman is Likely with Sex Offender

SHEPHERDSVILLE, Ky. (CBS/WLKY) Police in Kentucky are searching for Brittney Kustes, a young woman who has been missing for nearly a week.

PICTURES: Missing Children, Where Are They?

The 19-year-old was last seen at her grandmother's home in Brooks, Ky., south of Louisville, on Saturday night. Her mother reported her missing two days later.
Investigators say she is likely with Roy Vernon Elwell, a registered sex offender who was charged with kidnapping her about a year ago.

"He's a pretty bad dude," Bullitt County Sheriff's Department Det. Scotty McGaha told ABC News. "He's a person of interest. We want to talk to him. We haven't been able to find him."

The 34-year-old sex offender has a long criminal rap sheet, including a history of kidnapping, domestic violence, assault, robbery, stalking and drug offenses, according to CBS affiliate WLKY.

"There's some concern that she could be with someone that she shouldn't be with. Whether that's by force or not, we have not been able to determine that yet, but there is some concern for her safety at this point," McGaha told WLKY.

Police said they have checked locations throughout the Louisville metro area, to no avail. That has her mother pleading for her daughter's safe return.

"I just want my daughter back, and I want her safe, and nothing better be wrong with her," Brittney's mother Lori Kustes said in a press conference. "Brittney, if you're watching this or you can hear this, I love you, and we're going to find you and get you home."

The Kustes family is offering a $1,000 reward to anyone with information leading to their daughter's whereabouts.

Anyone with information is urged to call the Bullitt County Sheriff's Department at 502-955-7480.

Reporting Contributed by CBS affiliate WLKY

ADD A COMMENT
by shelomith_stow July 27, 2010 3:45 PM EDT
There's something missing here. Why is he a sex offender? His criminal record, long as it is, didn't actually list a sex offense. Was he a sex offender before he and Brittney disappeared or whatever together a year ago, at which time it would appear she was 18? Or was she still 17 and therefore technically a minor, which could explain the sex offender part? I have no idea; I am merely speculating. From all accounts he is, indeed, a "bad dude," and I certainly wouldn't want my 18 or 19 year old daughter with him. However, if he has committed no current crime and if she went willingly with him, there is no crime. She may not have been an adult a year ago, but she is now. And we women have always been suckers for those bad boys, haven't we? I pray she is with him willingly and has suffered no harm. I further pray that if and when the bad boy charm wears thin and she wishes to leave, she is able to do so without harm.
Reply to this comment

by myrandy01 July 27, 2010 4:48 PM EDT
If you look at other articles it does list his name and shows his picture. On the sex offender website it shows his crime to be kidnapping and unlawful confinement. Also if read any updates, people have seen her with him and she has bruises and marks on her face. She is not with him willingly. His name is Roy Elwell and he is on the Kentucky Sex Offender website. He is the person of interest.

by scouringnews July 27, 2010 12:44 PM EDT
I wish a photo of the offender they suspect she may be with was included. I encourage everyone to visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and search for this offenders name to view his picture. He's nothing like I would have pictured him to look like. . . If people see these two together, they might assume they are just an attractive couple and nothing to worry about!!!!
Reply to this comment

by mitch0927 July 27, 2010 12:33 PM EDT
jnostromo,
I totally agree. These people are the scum of the human race and do not deserve to live. I am a firm bleiever of capital punishment and feel our tax dollars are being wasted on these so called humans for giving them three free meals a day and a place to lilve.
Reply to this comment
by jnostromo July 27, 2010 11:39 AM EDT

It is time for this country to take a hard stance on sex offenders...They should be given an automatic death penalty and have that penalty enforced with no appeals..How much longer will we allow our children to be prey for these remorseless pieces of garbage...

I included the comments as I thought they were important. LM, I agree. If she is back on the meth either by force or of her own accord, she may be gone for a very long time. I pray they catch him. He should never have gotten out of prison!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:42 am

Posted: Jul 27, 2010 10:34 PM CDT
Updated: Jul 28, 2010 12:23 AM CDT

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - As the search continues for a missing Bullitt County woman, the case is attracting national attention. 19-year-old Brittney Kustes was reported missing July 20 and the detective investigating her disappearance said he believes the teenager may be in danger.

"We thought early on, and now we know, that Brittney is with this guy that is a registered sex offender," Lt. Scotty McGaha of the Bullitt County Sheriff's Office.

The man McGaha is referring to is 34-year-old Roy Elwell, a convicted sex offender who is out of compliance registering and has a long criminal record. Whether Brittney went with Elwell voluntarily is still under investigation, but McGaha said one of the latest tips is troubling.

"We are concerned that he's holding her and she's not got the freedom to be able to leave," McGaha said.

That is why McGaha and Laurie Kustes, Brittney's mother, are hoping national attention will help bring her home. On July 27, McGaha and Kustes appeared on two national TV programs, 'Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell' and 'Nancy Grace.'

"The tips are getting stronger going to the media and hopefully we're going to find them soon," said McGaha during the appearance on 'Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell'

Kustes said she is grateful networks are interested in her daughter's story.

"The more I can get her face out there, the quicker, of course, we can find her," she said.

"You've got a little more eyes and ears right there that's the good part it helps you," said McGaha.

Kustes said she is unsure whether her daughter left voluntarily.

"I do know if she did voluntarily go, she didn't go thinking she wasn't coming back," said Kustes.

Kustes told us that a year ago police found her daughter with Elwell after she'd been gone for days and that Brittney came home hooked on meth. Kustes said she sent Brittney to rehab to kick the habit and that her daughter was supposed to testify in court against Elwell -soon.

"I just love my daughter and I just want her back," said Kustes.

Brittney Kustes story has also captured the attention of 'America's Most Wanted'. Her story is on its web site.

"We're getting very close but we're just been able to make that one step forward right where she's at the time," McGaha said.

Kustes is offering a reward for any tips that lead to Brittney's location. If you have any information about the case, call police.

Nothing against this case at all, but why is it that this case is on the AMW website and NG and JVM have picked it up? Why not Faith Willison? I don't get it!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Missing teen, Brittney Kustes, found alive in Kentucky; alleged captor & registered sex offender, Roy Vernon Elwell, at large Empty Mom of missing Bullitt County teen, Brittney Kustes, speaks out, Elwell court date changed

Post by Wrapitup Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:17 am

by Gene Kang
WHAS11.com
Posted on July 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM
Updated yesterday at 6:41 PM

Reward now offered for missing Bullitt Co. teen, may be with convicted sex offender
Louisville, Ky. (WHAS11) - A Bullitt County mother hasn’t slept for days because her teenage daughter went missing more than a week ago.

Laurie Kustes said she never expected 35-year-old Roy Vernon Elwell to show up to court on Wednesday for a pre-trial in Jefferson County, but went to court anyway.

Kustes said she’s convinced Elwell is with her missing daughter.

To add insult to injury, the case was suddenly moved to another date because of another trial.
WHAS11's Gene Kang talked to Kustes about this nightmare, and the national media attention her missing daughter has been getting.

Laurie Kustes is the mother of 19-year-old Brittney Kustes. Brittney has been missing for 12 days.
On Wednesday morning, she told WHAS11, "I just want my daughter back and the longer it takes, the more crazier this is all becoming."

Laurie Kustes is desperately searching for her missing teenage daughter, and is now getting help from the website of the television show “America’s Most Wanted.”

If Brittney isn’t found by Saturday, her story will be told on “America’s Most Wanted” on Saturday night.
When Laurie Kustes showed up in court Wednesday morning, she found out that Ellwell’s pre-trial had been cancelled.

Elwell was due in court on Wednesday and has a warrant for non-compliance as a registered sex offender in Jefferson County.

Elwell’s sister was at the courtroom, though, and Kustes said she spoke to her. Ellwell’s sister said she doesn’t know where her brother could be today.

He's a person of interest in Brittney’s “Missing Persons” case.

Kustes played a voice mail from her cell phone for WHAS11. She said it was allegedly a message from Elwell threatening one of his friends.

Kustes said Elwell stalked her daughter for years and that he's violent and highly unstable.

"I just don't know how the outcome is going to end up," said Kustes.

The Bullitt County Sheriff’s Department said Elwell is still only a person of interest in this ‘Missing Persons’ case. However, he does have a long rap sheet, including assault, kidnapping and drug charges.

Brittney Kustes is described as being 5’2” with blonde hair and brown highlights. She has a butterfly tattoo on her right leg and a red star tattoo on her left.

Detectives urge you to call 911 immediately if you know anything about this case.

PLease click on the above and watch the video. Very important, It won't embed.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:11 pm

FOUND ALIVE !!! I had not heard this until just now on HLN.

Aug. 2) -- A 19-year-old Kentucky woman is back home today recovering from injuries while police were searching for the convicted sex offender suspected of holding her captive for two weeks.

Brittney Kustes disappeared July 17 and police had said they feared she was being held against her will by Roy Vernon Elwell, a 34-year-old convicted sex offender with a long record.

Teen Brittney Kustes, who went missing July 17, returned home on Monday after being held captive for two weeks.

Kustes was found Friday afternoon at a highway intersection, and her mother said the teen had escaped after being kidnapped and physically abused by Elwell. She was treated at a hospital.

"She's quiet at times and then out of nowhere she'll just start telling a story of what she went through at any particular time," the young woman's mother, Laurie Kustes, told CBS affiliate WLKY.

Lt. Scotty McGaha of the Bullitt County Sheriff's Office was unavailable for comment today, but in an interview with the same TV station he declined to give any details on the case. He would only say that Brittney went through a frightening ordeal.

Police are searching for convicted sex offender Roy Vernon Elwell, who is suspected of kidnapping 19-year-old Brittney Kustes.

"They're horror stories. They're sickening. Frightening," McGaha said.

Police began looking for Brittney Kustes after family members reported that she had disappeared from her grandparents' Louisville home. During the course of the investigation, detectives spoke with a witness who told police she had spotted Elwell driving up and down the street on the day Kustes vanished.

Family members said Brittney was able to get away from Elwell on Friday afternoon. She was found at a Lebanon exit near Interstate 65. Her mother said the teen had injuries from being choked and was also malnourished. She had been held at a house and also in the woods, sometimes at knifepoint, the mother said.

No charges have been filed yet in the alleged abduction, but police said they are looking for Elwell.

Elwell is believed to be driving a green Pontiac Grand Prix, with plastic hanging on the rear passenger side window. Anyone with information is asked to call the Bullitt County Sheriff's Office at 502-955-7480.

Last edited by lisette on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:16 pm

So did I, Lisette! Thank God! Unfortunately, she is hooked on meth again.

Missing teen, Brittney Kustes, found alive in Kentucky; alleged captor, Elwell, at large
By the CNN Wire Staff
August 3, 2010 7:50 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- A 19-year-old Kentucky woman missing for two weeks has been found, and police are searching for a registered sex offender believed to be involved in her disappearance, authorities said Monday.

Brittney Kustes was last seen July 17 at her grandparents' home in Brooks, Kentucky, just south of Louisville, Kentucky, according to Det. Scott McGaha of the Bullitt County Sheriff's Office.

Witnesses told police that sex offender Roy Vernon Elwell -- who has a history of kidnapping and unlawful confinement -- was seen driving up and down the street where Kustes' grandparents live on the day she disappeared.

"Shortly after, she was gone," McGaha said last week.

Numerous witnesses reported seeing the pair in Louisville and surrounding areas over the past two weeks.

On Friday, Kustes was driven to a drop-off point by a friend of her alleged captor, according to authorities. Kustes then called her boyfriend, who picked her up, drove her to a motel and called police.

Her mother told HLN's "Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell" Monday night that getting the news was "one of the greatest moments of my life."

"It was truly a blessing," Laurie Kustes said. "When we found her, we just stared at each other and I told her over and over you're safe now ... and she just cried and cried."

Laurie Kustes said her daughter was so "brutally, mentally tortured" during her disappearance that she was hospitalized Friday night.

"She's just really been through a lot of horrible things," she said, declining to elaborate due to the ongoing police investigation.

Brittney Kustes has a history with the 34-year-old Elwell, according to her mother.

"This guy came into my daughter's life with drugs," Laurie Kustes told CNN affiliate WHAS last week.

She said the last time Elwell was with her daughter, Brittney returned home addicted to methamphetamine, a drug habit she had recently kicked.

But Laurie Kustes said Monday that her daughter again returned from Elwell's alleged captivity hooked on drugs.

"We're going to have to start all over with drug counseling, rehab," she said. "Also, I'm going to have to get her into a psychiatrist for the past two weeks."

McGaha described Brittney Kustes as "terrified" and "extremely frightened" of Elwell, and described him as "very dangerous."

"She is not under police protection, but we are under alert to watch her," McGaha told "Issues," adding that Brittney Kustes is "at a location [Elwell] is not familiar with."

McGaha has said that Elwell knows police want to speak with him about Kustes. Friends of Elwell's have told police that he laughs off requests to come in to the sheriff's office, according to McGaha.

Meanwhile, Elwell has been found to be noncompliant with the laws of the state's sex offender registry as he continues to evade police. The Class D felony carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, McGaha said.

JVM video here:

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Brittney Kustes’ mother, Laurie Kustes, told CNN Headline News that hearing Brittney had been recovered was “one of the greatest moments of my life.”

Kustes also said that when she and Brittney were reunited they simply stared at one another and she told her daughter that she was safe now.

Laurie Kustes has also told local affiliate WHAS that Elwell and her daughter have had a previous history, stating that Elwell had come into her daughter’s life once before with drugs. During that time with Elwell, Brittney apparently became addicted to meth but was just recently able to kick that habit.

Unfortunately, upon Brittney’s return after being with Elwell most recently, her mother says she is hooked again on drugs. "We're going to have to start all over with drug counseling, rehab," she said. "Also, I'm going to have to get her into a psychiatrist for the past two weeks."

According to Detective McGaha, "She is not under police protection, but we are under alert to watch her."

Elwell will face a Class D felony crime if caught and prosecuted, which has a sentence of up to five years in prison.

Elwell is believed to be driving a green Pontiac Grand Prix. If you have any information, please call the Bullitt County Sheriff's Department at (502) 955-7480.

ONLY FIVE YEARS!! Police will do the world a favor and shoot and kill this creep on sight!!
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:11 pm

I saw the story last night on JVM. I am happy she was found basically physically unharmed. No charges have been filed as LE believes Brittney went willing with him.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by lisette Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:50 pm

I thought that she might have gone with him at first..Maybe she was wanting to "fall off the wagon"...However, that didn't give him the right to do what he did to her, IF she is telling the truth about it...She might not even remember what was going on during that time...But it sounded like she had tried to get away from him in the past, and it sounds like she had a boyfriend...Maybe she just wanted to get drugs from him, and he ended up keeping her with him...IDK, but he sounds like somebody that needs to be off the streets.
lisette
lisette

Back to top Go down