Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vigil set for Haleigh/Family marks 18 month anniversary of Haleigh's disappearance.

Go down

Vigil set for Haleigh/Family marks 18 month anniversary of Haleigh's disappearance. Empty Vigil set for Haleigh/Family marks 18 month anniversary of Haleigh's disappearance.

Post by Wrapitup Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:09 am

By Kristin Chambers
Published: Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:55 AM EDT

A vigil to commemorate the 18 months Haleigh Cummings has been missing will be held next week in Welaka.

The paternal side of the family has organized the memorial, which will take place at the First Baptist Church on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.

Annette Sykes, Haleigh's great-grandmother, said they are still holding onto hope that Haleigh will be found and brought home.

"It's just like an existence from one day to the next," Sykes said. "Is today the day, you know? Every day we pray that today is the day that she comes home."

A balloon release will also take place on Haleigh's seventh birthday Aug. 17.

Balloons provided by the family will be released at the Riverfront Park next to the clock tower in Palatka at 2:17 p.m.

Haleigh was born at 2:17 a.m., Sykes said.

"I just ask that people keep praying and helping us look for her, because we believe she is still alive," Sykes said. "We would be glad for anybody that would like to participate, and we thank everybody for all the prayers and anything that they've done to help us."

Haleigh was reported missing at 3:27 a.m. on Feb. 10, 2009.

No trace of the blonde kindergartner has been found despite massive searches by law enforcement officers and volunteers on land and water.

Haleigh's disappearance initially was described by authorities as a child-abduction case. At the conclusion of a three-day April search, Putnam County Sheriff Jeff Hardy officially labeled it a homicide.

Then-17-year-old Misty Croslin was babysitting Haleigh the night she went missing.

Croslin, now 18, told deputies she put Haleigh to bed just after 8 p.m. and went to bed herself a couple hours later. Croslin said she awoke around 3 a.m. to use the bathroom when she noticed the kitchen light on, the door propped open with a cinder block and Haleigh gone.

Haleigh's father, 26-year-old Ronald Cummings, was returning from his night-shift job at PDM Bridge in Palatka when the child was reported missing.

Diving squads, ground searches, bloodhounds and helicopters scoured areas of the St. Johns River and Satsuma woods while door-to-door interviews were conducted and officers searched vehicles at roadblocks.

Two camps were set up in the neighborhood to house the maternal and paternal sides of Haleigh's family. For more than a month, tents remained aglow with hundreds of candles used in nightly vigils while national news media spotlighted the child's disappearance.

A month later, Croslin and Cummings married at Sykes' house in Welaka.

Authorities named Croslin the key to the investigation after her statements to investigators reportedly had numerous inconsistencies about what took place between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. the night Haleigh disappeared.

After seven months, Cummings divorced Croslin, citing public scrutiny.

In January, Cummings, Croslin, Hank Croslin Jr., Cummings' cousin Hope Sykes and a former search volunteer Donna Brock of Orlando were arrested following a monthlong narcotics investigation into the trafficking of prescription pills.

They remain in jail today.

Sykes said Cummings is not taking the separation from his daughter well.

"Those two days are going to be really hard for him," Sykes said. "With this coming up, he's already upset."
Oh, please!! I bet selling drugs made the 'separation from his daughter" a lot easier. Maybe he will be so upset behind bars, they will throw him in the "bubble".
Sarcasm BS crap crazy 1

http://www.palatkadailynews.com/articles/2010/08/05/news/news01.txt

Last edited by Wrapitup on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:10 am; edited 4 times in total
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Vigil set for Haleigh/Family marks 18 month anniversary of Haleigh's disappearance. Empty Re: Vigil set for Haleigh/Family marks 18 month anniversary of Haleigh's disappearance.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:57 am

crying Thanks for posting this. I did not know HaLeigh birthday was coming up until now. Ronald is probably feeling all the pain and things the drugs numbed for him in the beginning. People abuse drugs to escape. That is nothing new. No I do not feel sorry for him so don't get me wrong. I feel sorry for HaLeigh and Jr.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Vigil set for Haleigh/Family marks 18 month anniversary of Haleigh's disappearance. Empty Re: Vigil set for Haleigh/Family marks 18 month anniversary of Haleigh's disappearance.

Post by Wrapitup Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:00 am

I hear you!!!! Yep, Aug. 17th she would have been 7. Can you believe it?? So horrifically sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:04 am

She was 5 yrs old when she came up missing. It is going on 2 yrs. There is no way a trace of her will ever be found now. HaLeigh will forever have a piece of my heart. I wonder about JR and how he is doing. That poor child.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:57 am

Haleigh Cummings Update: Vigil and Balloon Release Planned For Haleigh
Posted on August 5th, 2010
by Jan Barrett

Eighteen months ago, 5 year old Haleigh Cummings from Florida disappeared from her bed while her 17 year old babysitter (Her Father’s girlfriend) and little brother was sleeping in a bed only a couple of feet away. Misty Croslin told the police that she woke up to go to the bathroom and noticed that the kitchen light was on and the back door was propped open with a cinder block. She claims she ran back to the bedroom to check on the kids and found Haleigh gone.

Families have been destroyed from left to right in this case as the police department continue to investigate. Personal lives have become public and it seems that three families, the Cummings, the Sheffield’s, and the Croslin’s. for sure have been picked over with a fine tooth comb.

This case started out as a child abduction case but has since been changed to a homicide case, for unknown reasons. To except this you would have to think of Haleigh being dead, but Annette Sykes, Haleigh’s great-grandmother, says they are still holding on to hope Haleigh will be brought home safe.

The Palatka Daily News quotes Sykes as saying “It’s just like an existence from one day to the next. Is today the day, you know? Everyday we pray that today is the day she comes home.”

If Haleigh was home she would be celebrating her 7th birthday on August 17. As far as the public knows at this point this child may not be around to celebrate it. For those of us that still have hopes of her being alive somewhere, we pray she is safe and gets the chance to celebrate her 7th birthday.

Ronald Cummings, Haleigh’s father is in jail along with Misty Croslin, her brother, Tommy Croslin, Hope Sykes, and Donna Brock after they were arrested for drug trafficking, I am sure August 17th will be a rough day for Ronald as well as for Haleigh’s mother, Crystal Sheffield. My heart goes out to them. I can only imagine what they are feeling.

Ronald’s family has decided to hold a vigil to commemorate Haleigh being gone which will be held in Welaka, Florida. The memorial is set to take place at the First Baptist Church on Tuesday, Aug, 10th at 6:30 pm.

They have also arranged for a balloon release to take place on Haleigh’s birthday, August 17th. Since Haleigh was born at 2:17 am they have decided to release the balloons at precisely 2:17 pm that day. The family will be providing the balloons and the release is scheduled to be at the Riverfront Park next to the clock tower.

“I just ask that people keep praying and helping us look for her, because we believe she is still alive,” says Annette Sykes. “We would be glad for anybody that would like to participate, and we thank everybody for all the prayers and anything that they’ve done to help us.”

With all the news focusing on the drug trafficking bust and arrests it seems that the main focus has been set aside. The interest seems to be if this one gets enough time or if that one got too much time and about the deals they are possibly making. Well what about Haleigh? After the drug bust it seems that most of the news on leads to finding Haleigh have ceased.

I am with Annette Sykes on her thoughts. I think unless they can show proof that this child is dead, they should still be looking for a live child and bring her home. So Annette Sykes, if by some chance you run across this article, please know that our prayers are with Haleigh that she is returned to home.

I can’t be at the vigil or the balloon release but I will be lighting a candle and saying a special prayer for Haleigh when those balloons are released. I don’t know this family. All I can do is write about what I read or have been told to help keep Haleigh’s name out there. I pray that we have an answer soon.

I also read that the reward is now more than $30,000 for the person that can give the key piece of information needed to find Haleigh Cummings. The rewards are being offered by Crime Stoppers, who is offering the standard $1000 reward, the Justice Coalition, who added $8490 and from the residents in Putnam County totaling $21,377.

If any of you know anything that can help find this child please call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-277-TIPS (8477). Your call will remain anonymous so please help find this little girl.

God bless you Haleigh Cummings where ever you are. Simon and I and all here at BNN are continuing to pray for your safe return. God bless her family as well. Regardless of what they have done in their lives, they still love this little girl and they are hurting too. Let’s put more focus on finding Haleigh than who goes to jail for what, please.

Jan Barrett

http://www.bloggernews.net/125017

sadly, I disagree with Ggma Sykes and Jan but I hope so badly I am wrong!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Vigil set for Haleigh/Family marks 18 month anniversary of Haleigh's disappearance. Empty Family marks anniversary of Haleigh's disappearance

Post by Wrapitup Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:06 am

HaLeigh Cummings has been missing for 18 months. Meanwhile, a man with family ties is facing drug charges

By Karen Voyles & Cindy Swirko
Staff writers

Published: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 12:42 a.m.

WELAKA - A prayerful vigil marking the 18th month of the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings from her Satsuma home was held Tuesday night by her family, which steadfastly believes she is still alive.

"We realize that Haleigh has touched the lives of people across this nation and even other nations. She has a face and a smile that warms the hearts of hearts," said Haleigh's paternal great grandmother, Annette Sykes. "Because we fully believe that Haleigh is alive, this is a vigil of celebration of her life."

Meanwhile, a man with family ties to Haleigh has been charged with a drug offense.

Joe Overstreet, a cousin of Misty Croslin, was arrested Sunday at his home in Antioch, Tenn., outside Nashville.

Overstreet was charged with manufacturing marijuana and unlawful use of drug paraphernalia and is free on bond.

Haleigh, 5, disappeared in February 2009 while being cared for by Croslin.

Overstreet was staying in Putnam County the night Haleigh vanished, Putnam County sheriff's investigators have said.

Putnam County Sheriff Jeff Hardy said earlier this year after a three-day search of the St. Johns River that authorities believe Haleigh is dead.

Croslin family members told authorities that Overstreet was involved in her death and disposed of her body in the river.

No bones of Haleigh were found.

But Teresa Neves, Haleigh's paternal grandmother, said after the vigil that authorities have not shared proof with the family that Haleigh is dead. The Putnam County Sheriff's Office has not given us one single bit of evidence, nor have they even said that they have a piece of evidence," Neves said. "Why on Earth would I give up one ounce of hope when there is no proof that my baby is not here with?"

The family plans to release balloons at 2:17 p.m. next Tuesday to mark what would be Haleigh's 7th birthday.

The balloon release will be held at the St. Johns River Memorial Bridge in Palatka.

At Tuesday's vigil, family members thanked people for their support and prayers through the ordeal, saying they kept the family going.

They prayed for the safe return of Haleigh.

Afterward, they would not comment on the arrest of Overstreet or the potential implications on the Haleigh investigation.

Overstreet's name was linked to the Haleigh Cummings case in April after his grandmother, Flora Hollars, claimed another grandson, Hank "Tommy" Croslin Jr., had told her Overstreet had kidnapped Haleigh. Putnam County investigators questioned Overstreet but did not charge him with any crimes.

Overstreet has denied involvement in Haleigh's disappearance.

Putnam County officials have said they do not anticipate re-interviewing Overstreet unless there are new developments in the case.

Messages left for comment from the attorneys of Misty and Tommy Croslin were not returned Tuesday.

Officials in Tennessee said the charges against Overstreet were filed after they found a car at Overstreet's home that allegedly had been used in an assault and attempted robbery.

While investigating the car, officers said they found marijuana plants growing in Overstreet's yard.
Not real smart, is he? ha ha

Among those charged with drug crimes since Haleigh disappeared are: Misty Croslin, who was watching Haleigh the night she was last seen; Ronald Cummings, who is Haleigh's father and Misty's former boyfriend and ex-husband; Misty's parents, Hank Croslin Sr. and Lisa Croslin; and Misty's brother, Hank "Tommy" Croslin Jr.

Hank Croslin Jr. was recently sentenced to 15 years in prison on drug charges in a plea deal, the only person to be sentenced so far.

Hope Sykes, Ronald Cummings' cousin, was sentenced to 15 years in prison after pleading no contest to one count of trafficking.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100811/ARTICLES/8111011/1002?p=1&tc=pg
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Haleigh Cummings Update: Vigil Was Held Tuesday Night For Haleigh
Posted on August 11th, 2010
by Jan Barrett

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 was the mark of 18 months since little Haleigh Cummings has been missing. Numerous searches, hundreds of tips, lots of family arrests for unrelated charges, yet none of this has helped to find Haleigh. It sure makes me wonder sometimes if someone is just not looking in the right direction in this case.

I wasn’t at the vigil held last night, but I sure wish I could have been. What I have seen from other articles online though it gave me a pretty good idea who participated in this event though. Diena Thompson, Somer Thompson’s mother appeared to show her support to the family. She probably could relate to everything this family is feeling since she herself went through the same thing with her daughter back in October 2009 when her little body was found. Diena was quoted from news4jax.com as saying, “We’re talking about our similar situations and how it makes us feel and I think we both give each other solace.”

Teresa Neves and Annette Sykes, Haleigh’s grandmother and great-grandmother, were there wearing T-shirts with Haleigh’s face and name on the front. Sykes says it is important for people to know that Haleigh is still missing. She is still out there somewhere. “We believe she is alive and not just our family, but there is an unbelievable amount of people who believe Haleigh’s alive,” she said.

“We realize that Haleigh has touched the lives of people across this nation and even other nations. She has a smile that warms the hearts of hearts,” said Sykes. “Because we fully believe that Haleigh is alive, this is a vigil of celebration of her life.”

The PCSO has now changed the status of Haleigh’s case from missing child case to a homicide investigation. As far as the family is concerned though, until they can show some proof that she is not alive they will continue with their hopes and prayers that she will be found and returned home safely. So they will continue doing what they can to keep her name in the public and also her picture to help remind the people across the country or world that if they see this little girl to please call the police.

This is what we at BNN are trying to do as well. Until this child is found, one way or another, we will keep her picture and her name out there. We don’t want her case to go into the cold case files. She deserves better than that. She wouldn’t want to be forgotten, and we are not going to forget her. We will do whatever we can do to keep this case out there to the public.

Now on August 17, which is Haleigh’s birthday the family are planning to have another vigil to honor her birthday. They have a scheduled balloon release to be held at 2:17 pm which represents the time Haleigh was born only she was born at 2:17 am instead. Please take note that this time is being reported differently on myspace for balloons for Haleigh. They are saying the release is to be at 2:16 pm and not 2:17. All the other reports that I could find are saying 2:17 so I am not sure who is right. I think it should be figured out though before the release since the time is significant to coincide to the time of Haleigh’s birth.

I did just get a report that the time is indeed 2:16 pm. Apparently the time of birth has been confirmed from Haleigh’s birth certificate and the time of her birth was not 2:17 am it was actually 2:16 am so that is when the balloons will be released only it will be at 2:16 pm.

Help this family keep this child’s name out in the public. Let’s show her that we have not forgotten her. I am one of those that still believes Haleigh is alive and even though most don’t agree with me, I refuse to believe it until she is found.

My prayers are with Haleigh and her family everyday and every night. I keep praying that she will be found soon. She needs to come home, her family needs her home. The world needs her home. She has become a part of all of our lives, now. Haleigh we all love you honey so we pray that soon you will find your way home so we all can celebrate your return.

Jan Barrett

http://www.bloggernews.net/125049
I just love Jan Barrett. I may not agree with her but she really cares about the missing and murdered children. I hope she is right about HaLeigh. This is THE case that is in my heart and always will be. HaLeigh and Leah Cummings.

Where is HaLeigh?? It's so frustrating!
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down