Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges

2 posters

Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges

Post by raine1953 Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 pm

(CBS/KHOU) HARRIS COUNTY - At least three people including a suspect have been shot at the Lone Star College campus near Houston, police told CBS affiliate KHOU.

The shooting happened around 12:30 p.m. in the 2700 block of W.W. Thorne Drive, near Bush Intercontinental Airport.

According to the station, one person is in custody while law enforcement officials search a wooded area north of campus for a second suspect .

KHOU reports that one male was brought out of the library on a stretcher and a woman was being treated outside the building by EMS crews.

Witnesses reportedly said the man on the stretcher was handcuffed to it.

Campus officials said the community college, located in Harris County, is on lockdown.

Several other area schools were also on lockdown, KHOU reports.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Afeaefww_244x183
Police say at least three people have been shot at Lone Star Community College in North Harris
Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges 01-LonestarCollegeShooting_540x405
Aerial footage from CBS affiliate KHOU showed police cars and ambulances parked on the campus, emergency personnel attending to people on stretchers and at least person being put into an ambulance. Other people could be seen running from a building led by officers.

Last edited by raine1953 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty 3 wounded in Houston-area college shooting

Post by raine1953 Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Authorities in Texas say three people have been wounded in a shooting at a Houston-area community college.

Harris County Sheriff's Maj. Armando Tello says three people had been wounded and a person of interest has been detained.

The shooting took place Tuesday at the Lone Star College System campus about 20 miles north of downtown Houston.

Lone Star College System issued an alert on its website Tuesday telling students and faculty on its Houston-area campus in north Harris County to take immediate shelter or avoid the campus.

CBS affiliate KHOU Houston reports of witnesses saying that two men were arguing when one of them took out a gun and fired.

One male was brought out of the library and handcuffed to a stretcher, according to eyewitnesses.
continue reading at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty 3 shot at Lone Star College in Houston

Post by raine1953 Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Three people, including one gunman, were wounded in shooting between two people at Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas, school spokesman says
Second gunman is on the loose, but not believed to be on campus, school spokesman says
Fourth person suffered heart attack, federal law enforcement source says

Below are the latest updates as they come to us; full story here
[Updated at 3:06 p.m. ET] Someone – a fourth person – suffered a heart attack, according to a federal law enforcement source who is receiving reports from the scene, CNN's Carol Cratty reports.

So, recapping what we've been told:

– Three people, including a gunman, were wounded in a shooting between two people on the North Harris campus of Lone Star College in Houston, school spokesman Jed Young said.
– The second gunman is on the loose but not believed to be on campus, Young said.
– A fourth person suffered a heart attack, according to the federal law enforcement source.
– The shooting happened at a campus library, the federal law enforcement source says.
– No deaths have been reported.

[Updated at 2:54 p.m. ET] Two wounded people have been taken to surgery at Ben Taub Hospital and are in "relatively serious condition," CNN affiliate KTRK reported. They were conscious when they arrived at the hospital, KTRK reported.

[Updated at 2:43 p.m. ET] Three people – one suspected shooter and two people caught in a "crossfire" – were wounded in a shooting that appears to have been between two people at the Lone Star College campus in Houston, school spokesman Jed Young said.

The wounded suspect is in custody, and the second gunman is on the loose but not believed to be on campus, Young said.

Authorities believe the school is "under control, but the school is still being evacuated," Young said.

Young said he doesn't know the conditions of the wounded. He said the shooting – apparently between two gunmen – was reported at about 12:31 p.m. CT.

Two apparently unintended targets were shot in a "crossfire," he said.

[Updated at 2:28 p.m. ET] The FBI and ATF have sent agents to assist local authorities, according to Shauna Dunlop with FBI Houston and Franceska Perot with ATF Houston.

[Updated at 2:27 p.m. ET] A witness told CNN affiliate KPRC that she hid underneath her desk while she heard five or six gunshots at Lone Star College.

[Updated at 2:26 p.m. ET] One person has been transported to Houston Northwest Medical Center, according to spokeswoman Ashley Walton.

She would not give any further details about the patient.

[Updated at 2:14 p.m. ET] Students were filing out of what CNN affiliate KHOU reports is the library on campus.

[Updated at 2:10 p.m. ET] Video from CNN affiliate KPRC shows law enforcement personnel herding people from one part of the campus to another.

[Updated at 2:02 p.m. ET] Students at a Lone Star College campus in Houston have been asked to take shelter after reports of a gunman on campus, a school spokesman said.

More than 10,000 students are at the North Harris campus of Lone Star College, spokesman Jed Young said.

[Initial post, 1:50 p.m. ET] A shooting has been reported at a Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas, CNN affiliates KTRK and KPRC reported.

Footage from KPRC showed a large number of law enforcement personnel on campus, and at least two people being wheeled on gurneys toward ambulances.

This story is developing. We'll post more details as we get them.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty 3 wounded in shooting at Lone Star College in Houston UPDATE

Post by raine1953 Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Three people, including two people involved in altercation with each other, were wounded during shooting at Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas, authorities say
Two "persons of interest" – both wounded – are in hospital, sheriff's department official says
Fourth person suffered heart attack, federal law enforcement source says
Below are the latest updates as they come to us; full story here. Also, check out CNN affiliates KHOU, KPRC and KTRK
[Updated at 5:44 p.m. ET] According to officials at a news conference, it appears three people were injured - but the account of who they were differs from information we received earlier from a school spokesman.

One person – a school maintenance worker – was accidentally shot during an altercation between two other people, Harris County sheriff's Maj. Armando Tello said. That man was shot in the leg, is in his mid-50s, and is in stable condition, said Richard Carpenter, chancellor for the Lone Star College system.

The two people suspected of fighting each other also were injured, Tello said. Tello did not say how they were injured.

Tello also said one handgun was involved in the incident. When asked whether only one person was armed, Tello said he didn't know. Earlier, a school spokesman had said two gunmen were involved in the incident.

Also, a fourth person – a female who has a student ID – was taken to a hospital with some sort of medical condition, Tello said. Earlier, a federal law enforcement source told CNN that someone had suffered a heart attack.

[Updated at 4:52 p.m. ET] A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation says the shooting appears to have taken place in an outside area between a library and a cafeteria, CNN's Carol Cratty reports.

[Updated at 4:30 p.m. ET] Two suspects are now in custody, CNN affiliates KHOU and KTRK reported. CNN has not yet independently confirmed this information.

Authorities are expected to conduct a news conference at about 5 p.m. ET.

[Updated at 4:03 p.m. ET] Police believe the second suspect fled into woods nearby, a law enforcement source briefed by officers on the scene told CNN.

Authorities are focusing their search on the wooded area, which is adjacent to George Bush Intercontinental Airport, the source said.

[Updated at 3:59 p.m. ET] An unidentified Lone Star College student who says she witnessed some of the shooting told CNN affiliate KHOU that an argument between two people preceded the gunfire.

A gunman, she said, told someone: "I don't want to fight you; I'm not trying to go to jail."

The witness appeared to reference only one gunman; it wasn't clear whether she saw a second gunman. She said he "actually turned away from the situation" at first but eventually pulled a gun out of a backpack. She said she heard about nine shots.

"I think it was a bunch of crap that could've been resolved and never should have gone that far," the witness said.

[Updated at 3:23 p.m. ET] Texas Gov. Rick Perry is being briefed about the situation by law enforcement personnel, Perry spokesman Josh Havens said.

"(Perry's) thoughts and prayers are with those that have been impacted," Havens said. "We have nothing more to add at this point, but the governor will continue to closely monitor the situation."

[Updated at 3:17 p.m. ET] A freshman who was in a nearby classroom, Amanda Vasquez, tells CNN's Brooke Baldwin that she heard about six shots. She says she heard from other people that some shooting happened in a library, but she believes that the gunshots she heard came not from the library, but from the hallway outside her class.

"I was in the academic building, waiting for English class to start. I heard about six shots, and kids started rushing down the hallway. A few came into our class. It really happened so fast," she said.

She said people were shouting, and she hid under a table in a corner of the classroom. She called her mother.

"I called my mom to (let her know) I was OK (and that) I loved her, just in case anything was going to happen," Vasquez said. "... At first she didn’t believe me ... but I kept telling her it's happening and need you to call the cops."
more at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty 3 injured in shooting, fight at Lone Star College in Houston UPDATE

Post by raine1953 Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Three people, including a maintenance man who was accidentally shot and two people who were fighting each other, were injured during fight at Lone Star College campus in Houston, Texas, officials say
Fourth person also sent to hospital with medical condition, officials say
It's not immediately clear how many shooters were involved, or how the two "persons of interest" were injured
Below are the latest updates as they come to us; full story here. Also, check out CNN affiliates KHOU, KPRC and KTRK
[Updated at 6:08 p.m. ET] "We don’t know exactly if she had a heart attack or a stroke,” Harris County sheriff's spokeswoman Christina Garza says of the female who was hospitalized with an unspecified medical condition.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty 3 wounded in Houston college shooting; two people detained

Post by Wrapitup Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:03 pm

By Catherine E. Shoichet and Mariano Castillo, CNN
updated 8:31 PM EST, Tue January 22, 2013

(CNN) -- Students ducked under desks and ran for cover during a shooting at a community college in Texas on Tuesday.

Three people were wounded, including a maintenance worker, in the shooting at the North Harris campus of Lone Star College in Houston, Harris County Sheriff's Maj. Armando Tello said. All three were wounded by gunfire.

The shooting apparently stemmed from an argument between two men. Both were detained, sheriff's officials said, but no arrests had been made and no charges had been filed by Tuesday afternoon.

The two men were among the injured, officials said. At least one of the men was armed.

"We haven't determined their exact involvement," Capt. Ken Melancon told reporters.

Conflicting reports emerged about the nature of the shooting.

Tello said a handgun was involved and one of the people detained had a student ID.

Jed Young, a school spokesman, said earlier that officials believe there were two shooters, and students were caught in the crossfire.

"I heard about six shots, and kids started rushing down the hallway and a few even came into our class ... They were just shouting. I couldn't hear anything," said Amanda Vasquez, a freshman who was in English class when the shooting erupted. "For me, I was just trying to get under a table, get into the back corner of the room ... and I called my mom just because I needed her to know that I was OK."

Lone Star College student Brittany Mobley told CNN affiliate KHOU that she saw the shooting.

"I saw two dudes basically get into an altercation and ... the dude that shot, he basically got angry and, you know, started shooting the other guy," she said. "A lot of people heard a lot of shots."

A fourth person at the college suffered a heart attack during the shooting, according to a federal law enforcement official who received reports from the scene. Maj. Tello described the fourth person as a woman with some kind of medical complication and a student ID. She was treated at a hospital.

The shooting took place outside, between the academic building and the library, said Richard Carpenter, chancellor of the Lone Star College System.

The Lone Star College System is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area, and the fastest-growing community college system in Texas, according to its website.

There were more than 10,000 students on the campus at the time of the shooting, said Young. The campus was evacuated and closed for the remainder of the day, according to a post on the school's website. The campus will reopen Wednesday.

Police and emergency responders swarmed an entrance to the campus, aerial video from KPRC showed.
Medical personnel were seen treating at least two people and moving them to ambulances. One person appeared to be handcuffed to a stretcher. Students were jogging away from some buildings, with their hands up in the air, presumably in response to police instruction.

The maintenance worker was shot in the leg and was in stable condition Tuesday afternoon, said Carpenter. Officials described the worker as an innocent bystander.

"I heard no less than five shots, and I just ran," one student told CNN affiliate KTRK. "My heart was pounding. I was praying I wouldn't hear anymore shots. I was with a bunch of other people running and someone yelled out, 'don't push!' People were crying, I had tears in my eyes."

Another witness told KTRK he saw blood on the ground and someone shot in the leg.

"Beside him, there was one guy in handcuffs," he said.

"I just heard somebody screaming, and then after that, I heard the shots," another student told KPRC.
The Houston shooting comes roughly a month after the deadly shooting at a Newtown, Connecticut, elementary school that ended with 26 people -- including 20 children ages 6 and 7 -- dead.

"We know that there is significant national dialogue regarding the frequency, unfortunately, of shootings like this on public school and college campuses," said Carpenter. "Though we never expected to be a central part of this discussion, we hope that things can be learned from it."

Texas law is like the "wild west". I even heard a reporter say that on CNN today. Carrying a concealed weapon is Legal, but not on any school properties. However, one of the teachers who has taught there for 32 years said there are multiple entrances and exits and there are no precautionary measures at Lone Star College..no metal detectors, no nothing..so how easy is it to have a gun on school property in Texas? Rhetorical. Gov. Perry (and I use the Gov. term Loosely) needs to re-think his agenda and NOW. It was stated on CNN that he thinks everyone in this State should be able to carry a concealed weapon. I know he doesn't mean felons but really, you don't have to be a convicted felon to be a nutjob w/a concealed weapon.

WHEN is this going to end?? I heard this is the 4th school shooting since Jan 1, 2013.
head bang

Raine, thank YOU so much for posting this. I have a feeling there will be many more threads like this one. It\\'s Not Fair

NO ARRESTS?? I find that Very hard to believe.

Last edited by Wrapitup on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty Re: Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges

Post by Wrapitup Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Several school districts in Texas have either implemented or are considering a plan to allow faculty to carry guns on campus. While guns are not allowed on college campuses, the Texas Legislature this year may debate a bill that would allow them.

snipped from:

click above link for more.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged With Aggravated Assault

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 am

01/22/13 11:51 PM ET EST

HOUSTON -- A 22-year-old man has been charged in the shootings at a Houston-area community college campus that left him and two others wounded.

A statement from the Harris County Sheriff's Office identifies the suspect as Carlton Berry. Spokesman Alan Bernstein says Berry is charged with aggravated assault but remains hospitalized with wounds suffered in the shooting.

Bernstein said no other identities are available.

Investigators say a fight between two people erupted in gunfire Tuesday at a Lone Star College campus in suburban Houston. A maintenance man was caught in the crossfire, and students and others were sent cowering in classrooms.

No one was killed, but the volley of gunshots heard shortly after noon fear of another campus massacre just over a month after 26 were killed at a Connecticut elementary school.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty Re: Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges

Post by raine1953 Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:34 am

Earlier in the day the media was reporting two were detained. Who knows. The media screws things up so much!
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty Details emerge about college shooting

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:12 pm

By Dale Lezon | January 23, 2013 | Updated: January 23, 2013 1:36pm

Carlton Berry
Photo: HCSO

More details have emerged Wednesday, a day after three people were wounded in a shooting at Lone Star College in north Harris County.

The gunfire erupted during an argument between two men near the library on the campus at 2700 W.W. Thorne about 12:20 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

Carlton Berry, 22, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he allegedly opened fire, wounding two men, including a maintenance worker who was an innocent bystander. The worker was wounded in the leg, deputies said. He was identified in court records as Bobby Cliburn, 69.

Deputies said the other victim had two gunshot wounds. Both victims have what appear to be non life-threatening injuries. The other man involved in the argument was identified in court records as Jody Neal, 25. Authorities told the Associated Press they don't expect to file any charges against Neal.

Berry was also wounded. He apparently accidently shot himself in the hip. Initial reports indicated he ran away from the campus after the shooting and later showed up at a nearby hospital seeking treatment for a gunshot wound.

However, he never fled the campus, said Deputy Thomas Gilliland, a spokesman for the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty Lone Star shooting highlights growing problem of guns on campus. This incident of gun violence at a Texas college reveals that the NRA is getting its way – with more concealed carry in schools.

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Alex Hannaford
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 23 January 2013 11.46 EST

Texas Governor Rick Perry's immediate response to the Lone Star campus shooting Tuesday in Houston – the result of a dispute between two men at the community college which left three hospitalised – was that he was "praying for those that have been impacted". But there are no prizes for guessing what, other than prayers, Perry really believes is the answer to college shootings like this one: more guns.

Back in December, in response to the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, Perry stood before a group of Tea Party conservatives wearing a black suit and black shirt, looking slightly grey, with his hair not as primped as usual, and told them that he supported allowing teachers to carry concealed handguns. According to the Dallas Morning News, when Perry mentioned a school district in Texas that already allowed teachers to carry weapons, he was interrupted by loud applause from the crowd.

This week, we were subjected to the now-familiar grainy scenes, shot from a TV helicopter, of paramedics tending to the injured, neon yellow stretchers laid out ready on the grass: the inevitable theatre that comes with yet another school shooting tragedy. The campus was on lockdown, we were told, but the specifics – was anyone dead? how many injured? – were sketchy.

Now we know that just after midday, three people, including the gunman and a maintenance worker, were wounded in a shooting in a library on the North Harris campus of the community college. Thankfully, nobody died this time. A campus spokesperson told CNN people were caught in the crossfire after an argument resulted in guns being drawn.

Rightwing blogs homed in on the fact that Lone Star campus was a "gun-free zone" – in other words, that prohibiting concealed handguns there only prevented people from protecting themselves. But from the wording on the school's own website, it isn't even clear that Lone Star College is a gun-free zone. In fact, it seem to suggest that it wouldn't prohibit state-sanctioned concealed handgun licence (CHL) holders carrying a weapon with them on campus. pulling hair

Ever since Virginia Tech massacre, the National Rifle Association, the controversial gun rights lobbying group, has been backing bills across the nation that would allow concealed handguns on college campuses. And in its press conference after the Sandy Hook school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, the NRA's executive director, Wayne LaPierre, used the opportunity to propose that not just colleges, but every school in the country should get armed security.

But I just can't see how a CHL holder in the library at the time of yesterday's shoot-out could have made the situation any better. As it was, people got caught in the crossfire: another person emptying their magazine into the fray would only have increased the casualty count. I put this to David Burnett of the pressure group Students for Concealed Carry. "That would have been a judgment call on the part of the CHL holder as to whether their life was in danger," he told me.

But Burnett believes that if, as was first feared, Tuesday's shooting had been a spree killing like the one Adam Lanza carried out in Newtown, a CHL holder could have altered the course of history:

"These people [spree killers] want the body count as high as they can before killing themselves. It's difficult for me to imagine things getting much worse."

Burnett said his organisation estimated that more than 200 colleges in six states already allowed students to carry concealed handguns on campus. The state of Utah has sanctioned it since 2006, he said, and Colorado for a decade.

Colorado: where two people were injured last month after a concealed carry permit-holder accidentally shot her co-worker with her revolver on the University of Colorado's Anschutz Medical Campus, injuring herself in the process. Colorado: where, in 2010, a man shot someone in the arm on the campus of Colorado State University – four months after the college repealed its gun ban following a ruling from the state's supreme court.

There is little evidence, in fact, to suggest that allowing teachers or students to carry guns on campus does anything other than increase the likelihood of somebody getting hurt. According to the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, more guns equals more homicide.

Besides which, colleges themselves don't want guns on their campuses anyway. On 19 December, just five days after Sandy Hook, an organisation called College Presidents for Gun Safety wrote an open letter to "our nation's policy leaders":

"We are college and university presidents. We are parents. We are Republicans, Democrats and Independents. As a group, we do not oppose gun ownership. But, in many of our states, legislation has been introduced or passed that would allow gun possession on college campuses. We oppose such laws."

In 2011, I wrote a piece for the Atlantic about the move to allow guns on campus in Texas. Back then, Francisco Cigarroa, the chancellor of the University of Texas System, signed a public letter to legislators saying the gun bill was a bad idea. If it ever became law, some professors even said they would add a clause to the syllabus forbidding students from carrying guns into classrooms.

Last Friday, without much fanfare, a small east Texas school district announced it would allow teachers there to carry concealed handguns, making it the second school system in the state to do so. And apparently, following Sandy Hook, more may follow.

So, even if students aren't allowed to carry guns with them to class, it looks as though some of their professors will. Welcome to the new Wild West – where the saloon bar has been replaced by the classroom, the six-shooter with a Glock 9mm, and the cast of weathered cowboys with America's next generation of school children.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:25 pm

|
|
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty Second suspect charged in Texas college shooting

Post by Wrapitup Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:01 pm

THE COURIER OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY, JASON FOCHTMAN
January 23
BY JUAN A. LOZANO
The Associated Press

Officials say charges have been filed against a second suspect in a shooting at a Houston-area community college that left three people wounded.

The Harris County sheriff's office says a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon was filed Thursday against the second suspect.

The suspect's name was not released because the person has not yet been arrested. The sheriff's office declined to comment on what role the person played in the shooting.

Officials have said at least 10 shots were fired Tuesday during a dispute between two men outside the library at Lone Star College-North Harris.

One man, Carlton Berry, has been arrested and is charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Read more here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty 2nd suspect arrested in college shooting

Post by Wrapitup Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:45 pm

By Dale Lezon, Brian Rogers | January 25, 2013 | Updated: January 25, 2013 11:14am

A second suspect wanted in the shooting at Lone Star College this week was arrested early Friday morning near Dallas.
Trey Foster, 22, was taken into custody without incident by members of the Gulf Coast Violent Offenders Task Force about 1 a.m. at a home in the Plano area, said Alfredo Perez, spokesman for the U.S. Marshal's Service.

Perez said Foster was driven to the Harris County Sheriff's Office and arrived about 6:30 a.m. He is expected to be questioned by investigators.

Perez said Foster has ties to the Plano area and investigators were trying to determine the relationship between him and the people at the home.

Foster was being held in the Harris County jail in lieu of $100,000 bail. He is charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in the shooting on the campus at 2700 W.W. Thorne in north Harris County about 12:20 p.m. Tuesday.

Three people were wounded in the gunfire. The gun used in the shooting was not found at the scene, but Perez said a handgun was found when Foster was arrested. It was not known if that was the weapon used in the shooting.

Foster's arrest and charges add confusion to the chaotic events surrounding the case.

Court records allege that Foster was the gunman. However, authorities earlier charged Carlton Berry, 22, a friend of Foster's, with two counts of aggravated assault in connection with the shooting. Harris County prosecutors and sheriff's officials stressed that the investigation continues.

"I don't know who was holding the weapon," said Assistant District Attorney Alison Baimbridge. "They're still trying to interview all of the witnesses to determine where the weapon was and who was holding it."

So far, investigators said they have learned from Berry that the shooting may have stemmed from an altercation between Foster and 25-year-old Jody Neal, a GED student at the college.

According to court records, Berry told investigators Neal had bumped into Foster earlier in the day,

About a half-hour later, Berry told authorities, he and Foster saw Neal again. According to court records, Foster and Neal argued near the doorway to the school's academic building and Foster opened fire.

At least 10 shots were fired, authorities said. Bobby Cliburn, a 55-year-old maintenance worker, was wounded in the leg. Neal was wounded in the leg and abdomen. He ran away but collapsed in the student library. Both were rushed to the hospital and are expected to survive.

Berry also was wounded in the leg. How Berry was shot is unclear, but authorities earlier indicated his gunshot wound was accidental and self-inflicted.

A student was taken to an area hospital after her blood pressure rose during the shooting.

Apparent misidentification may have led to confusion about who may have opened fire.

Neal initially identified Berry, who was carried past him on a stretcher at the scene, as the gunman, court records state. However, court records reveal, on Wednesday Neal picked out Foster from a photo lineup as the man who shot him.

Berry told investigators the gunman was wearing an Atlanta Falcons cap during the shooting. Security video from the school earlier in the day shows Foster, who was with Berry, wearing the cap, according to an arrest affidavit.

Officials with the Harris County Sheriff's Office declined to comment on recent developments or on the status of the charges against Berry. Under Texas law, he could remain charged in the shootings if he was a "party" to the offense.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty Charges dropped for Carlton Berry; Trey Foster, presumed Lone Star shooter, in custody

Post by raine1953 Sun May 19, 2013 6:02 pm

The Harris County Sheriff's Office held a press conference today to issue a statement about the dropped charges that had been filed against Carlton Berry for the Lone Star Shooting.
"The investigation is ongoing," Sheriff Garcia said. "Everyone is working as hard as they can. Once the pieces are put together, we'll be able to see the bigger picture."
Last week, two counts of aggravated assault were filed against Berry because two victims in the shooting had identified Berry as the shooter. Initially, Berry denied even being at the shooting, but when he was notified of the two charges he told investigators that he had been there and said he wasn't the shooter. He told investigators the shooter was a friend, Trey Foster.
"If we hadn't arrested Berry, we wouldn't have found out about Foster and we would still be looking for a weapon," Sheriff Garcia said. "With the witness statements from the victims, we had enough to meet probable cause, and Berry was charged. This is how investigations work sometimes."
Foster was later arrested in Plano, Texas, where a gun matching the description of the weapon used in the shooting was also found. The gun is currently being analyzed to verify if ballistics match the evidence collected at the crime scene.
Although Foster claims to have a concealed hand-gun license, investigators have not found any evidence to support this. It appears Foster himself purchased the gun at a Gander Mountain retailer.
Though some have suggested his criminal background should not have allowed him to purchase a weapon, federal law only prohibits the sale of a firearm to someone convicted of a felony or domestic violence. Foster's records indicate he has two misdemeanors, one for resisting arrest and the other for having brass knuckles in his possession.
"This is not a television show," Sheriff Garcia said. "It's not a clear-cut story that can be solved in less than an hour. This is more like reality television, with complications and chaos that my deputies face every day. I said before that I support our investigators, and I still do."
Because the investigation remains ongoing, Sheriff Garcia asks that the public be patient and wait until this case plays out in the courtroom, where it belongs.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Texas College Shooting:4 people shot at Lone Star College campus, report says/3 people injured, 2 of them 'detained',/Carlton Berry, Suspect In Lone Star College Shooting, Charged W/Aggravated Assault as has Trey Foster, 22.Update:Berry cleared on charges Empty Texas college shooting suspect no-shows court date

Post by raine1953 Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:14 pm

HOUSTON (AP) — A suspect in a Houston-area college campus shooting has been declared a fugitive after he failed to appear at a scheduled court appearance.
A bench warrant has been issued for 22-year-old Trey Foster's arrest. Harris County sheriff's spokeswoman Christina Garza said Foster was declared a fugitive after he failed to appear for a scheduled Tuesday court date in Houston.
Foster had been free on $50,000 bond after he was charged with aggravated assault in the Jan. 22 shooting at a Lone Star College campus north of downtown Houston.
Authorities believe 25-year-old Jody Neal was shot after bumping into Foster. The two men argued at first but went their separate ways. Investigators say they encountered each other 30 minutes later, argued again and Foster fired at Neal. Two others were wounded.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:35 pm

They should have made his bond sky high so he couldn't bail out. Now, he's on the lamb. Could do anything to anyone. This is outrageous!!!

grrrr head bang
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down