Victim's Heartland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nick McGuffin will go on trial in May 2011 for the murder of Leah Freeman

+21
concerned4all
raine1953
jeanne1807
cherylz
misshesitation
lisette
laga
michelle_ellis
mayhem
prayerbone
CritterFan1
Nama
janie
TerryRose
Love4My5boys
Juanita
adelacruz
Wrapitup
mommyof3kids
charminglane
Cory
25 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Nick McGuffin will go on trial in May 2011 for the murder of Leah Freeman - Page 14 Empty Re: Nick McGuffin will go on trial in May 2011 for the murder of Leah Freeman

Post by laga Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am wondering what is happening too. I have written several emails to all the news personalities I thought might pick this story up and get it in the spotlight. I have only gotten form responses saying they will take it into consideration. The above link is the local that carried the press release from Dannels.

laga

Back to top Go down

Nick McGuffin will go on trial in May 2011 for the murder of Leah Freeman - Page 14 Empty Re: Nick McGuffin will go on trial in May 2011 for the murder of Leah Freeman

Post by CritterFan1 Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:42 pm

I am just hoping they are running behind schedule and we might hear something in early May.
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:55 pm

I too am beyond frustrated with LE. I am still holding onto hope that maybe they are still waiting? head bang

Ugg.
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:06 pm

My email to KCBY:

I am wondering why there is no update in the Leah Freeman case. The COP and DA had stated back in Jan 2010 that they were re-opening the case. It has now been 4 months and no news. I doubt, after 10 years, it has taken this long to get back forensics and/or new information.

Could you please see what you can do to interview those in charge of this case and do some investigating?

I genuinely feel for Cory Courtwright!!

Thanks, and I don't need a "standard" email saying you received my email to you.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

https://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by laga Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Love that last sentence, Wrap. If you don't mind I will copy and add it to all my future emails as I plan to write many more and those standard replies keep faking me out. Everytime I see a new one I think maybe this is one of interest.
laga
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:20 pm

I don't mind a bit. ☀
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:17 pm

WOW!! That didn't take long at all. Here is the reply from the News Director:

"Novotny, Tim"
Add to Contacts
To: kathiejash@yahoo.com
Kathie,

Actually, it has taken some time to get back forensic evidence from the state crime lab. We updated the story at the beginning of April with an interview of the Coquille Police Chief, we also tried to contact Leah's boyfriend, who we were told had come forward at the end of the 2009 to try and clear his name. We were told that after the investigators announced they were taking a new look at the case that he had "lawyered up". We spoke with his Attorney who said it was his advice that Nick McGuffin (a long time person of interest in the case) not comment to the media at this time. We also learned that evidence from the state crime lab would likely be coming back at the end of April. We have been in contact with the investigators on a weekly basis, but to this point have nothing new to report.

This is partly speculation, but with a double homicide in Bandon in February, along with a subsequent two week nation-wide manhunt, and working to get the suspect of that crime brought back to the area to face those charges, the District Attorney has probably had to place his focus there for a bit. As we have been told, a current homicide investigation will take precedent over an older one, but that the Freeman case is still a priority. We will update this story as soon as we have new information to do so.

Rest assured, we take Leah's case very, very seriously. It was the first case that I covered after joining this station. I have been updating this story every few months for years, even after the case went cold, constantly talking with investigators and Cory, always trying to shake someone loose to divulge new information. I feel very close to Leah's family and have promised them that we would stay on top of it until justice is served.

Most Sincerely,
Tim Novotny
News Director
KCBY-TV
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:54 pm

Tim N. Is an awesome Person! It is true how much coverage he has done on this case! I remember watching him when he was New to the station and was just a anchorman, now he is a the stations director.

I am sure he too is on pins and needles waiting to hear back from Dannel's and Frasier head bang

Oh and TY Wrap for writing into him! You ALL are so wonderful!!! you rock
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by laga Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:16 pm

I got pretty much that same response...glad to hear Mommy thinks he is a good guy, he rates in my book, he answered personally. We need a few more good guys on this case to help Dannels make that arrest.
laga
laga

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Laga, glad you got a response quickly. I think Tim will be on this case like white on rice.
Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:06 pm

you rock wrap. :high five: That helped so much.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by charminglane Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:18 pm

Yeah!
Just a little more time...
charminglane
charminglane

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Sat May 01, 2010 1:02 am

Count me in, justice is way overdue and I'll be glad to write.
Who all should I write to?
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 01, 2010 8:01 am

CBS News, 48 Hours, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
CBS News, 60 Minutes II, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
CBS News, 60 Minutes, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thank you. Here is some places to start.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Sat May 01, 2010 10:36 am

Thank you Lindamarie, I'll get that done today. I wasn't sure where to start, what about Dateline, 20/20 and of course Paula Zahn and JVM as noted above?
This case just makes my skin crawl and I just admire Cory for hanging in there for so long and fighting so hard; justice is so overdue!
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by adelacruz Mon May 03, 2010 3:43 pm

hey gals! let's get working! the da should've had those dna results last week! they can't keep making cory wait!!! so let's burn up their phone lines and emails!!!
ugh,,, anybody know the info??
adelacruz
adelacruz

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory Mon May 03, 2010 3:46 pm

All I know is the phone #'s..........CPD - (541)396-2114 and the DA's office......(541)396-3121
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory Mon May 03, 2010 3:48 pm

Oh....here is the Chief's [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Mommyof3kids
Current MOOD.... angry Angry, frustrated, PO'd, LET DOWN.... soap box

Guess we are back to square one??? I know we need to give them another week, but seriously, I was hoping today would be the day crap
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 04, 2010 5:18 am

Sounds like it is time to print that petition and send it with mass letters asking that LE put the attention on Justice for Leah. It is long overdue.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 am

I am going to bump up the Petition for all those that have not signed it. It will be listed as a Global announcement. I think letters in the mail is more effective than emails. Emails can get over looked and deleted without being read. Here is the mailing address.
Coquille Police Department

Chief of Police
Mark Dannels

851 N Central Blvd
Coquille, Oregon 97423
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Cory this is to you.
If you are denied access to a public record, you may petition the attorney general of the state of Oregon if it is a state record, or the district attorney of your county if it is a local government record. The attorney general or district attorney has seven days to review your petition and to grant or deny it. If your petition is granted, the public body must produce the record in seven days. If your petition is denied, you may ask for a review of this decision in the courts. If the record you seek is in the hands of an elected official, you must go to court, not to the attorney general or the district attorney, to petition for disclosure.

I know the DA denied your request. Your next step is " If the record you seek is in the hands of an elected official, you must go to court". Leah case is a cold case not a current one. You are entitled to her autopsy report. I know you’re looking for a lawyer to help you. I have searched for a date base of judges with no luck. Now I am off to search for an elected official to help you. It seems that when you started pushing to get that record the cold case team started working on Leah unsolved murder. Help with judges or elected officials in your county would be appreciated.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Thank you for your interest in contacting Oregon Governor Kulongoski.

Please use one of the following methods if you would like to share an opinion or if the Governor´s Office can be of assistance:

MAIL
Governor Kulongoski
160 State Capitol
900 Court Street
Salem, Oregon 97301-4047
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Bringing back this thread. It is in our members only section. I read through corys post above. I brought this thread back to the red topics. Please read cory's post here and help her seek justice for Leah in 2010.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Tue May 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Can I just say that I am so beyond upset with what is NOT going on over there in that Office of the Coos County DA??? over reaction

Could they at least come out and say something about whether or not they have anything back on the lab results?? angry I mean, REALLY?? They made a promise to the public and have not followed through with it!

BS
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Submitted to America's most wanted.

I read the frequently asked questions about submitting cases. I am sure it is hard to decide which cases to focus on. I have been a fan for a long time. Please consider Leah Freeman's story. It has been 10 yrs since she was murdered. In April a cold case team announced there was new evidence was being tested. The results due back by the end of April 2010. Please look at the story and help Leah Freeman get justice.

I really am trying to get some attention to the 10 yr anniversary of Leah Freeman's murder.

Cory push for the medical examiner report in the end you will win. It is your right to have it. I doubt that it will bring you peace. I do believe if you push for it that it will breathe some life back to the investigation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Please check out what I did.

Fingers Crossed
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 14, 2010 2:48 pm

I have also written to JVM and NG. Is anyone else writing in to bring some awareness to this being the 10 yr anniversary of Leah Freemans murder?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by raine1953 Tue May 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Last week I sent an email to the DA & Mark Dannels, Chief of Police re: Leah Freeman case, I just got back the below response (is this the std answer sent back?):

I cannot speak for the first 8 years of the Freeman investigation as I was not here, but after working on the case files and speaking with many investigators that did work this case, I can assure you that a lot of detailed work went into this investigation. During the last 2 years, Mr. Paul Frasier and I have joined forces in hopes of bringing results and answers to the Freeman family and this community who I agree has been emotionally shattered by this horrific crime. Since our press conference in January, 2010 we have made some very beneficial achievements with this case and continue to spend countless hours to investigate each and every avenue possible with this case to consciously assure we have done our job!

I respect your thoughts regarding Corey and what she has been through over the last decade, “A parents worst nightmare”!! I recently updated Corey on our status and work, but unfortunately as with any homicide investigation, we are limited in what we can say. That may not sound right, but in the best interest of justice with the ultimate goal of a successful prosecution of the offender, we must keep our information sealed until a proper venue, (i.e. the courtroom/jury).

In closing, we hope to have something out to the media soon regarding our case status and I can assure you and the Freeman family that this investigation is still an active and on-going.

Thank you for your interest with this case,

Mark J. Dannels
Chief of Police

Subject: Leah Freeman Murder, Case Status

Attn: Mark Dannels, Chief of Police

Dear Mr. Dannels,

As you know, in January 2010 Law Enforcement and the DA announced that the cold case of Leah Freeman had been re-opened. You stated that ‘new evidence’ had been sent to laboratories would be back by the end of April. It has now been five months and to date, there has been no news.

For ten long years since Leah Freeman was murdered there’s been a killer free to walk the streets, free to possibly kill again which should extremely worrisome to all elected and appointed officials and of course the public at large.

There’s been no justice for Leah, I can’t imagine what her Mom Cory Courtwright goes through and I’m hoping that you will look into this and advise status on the case.
raine1953
raine1953
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 18, 2010 3:05 pm

raine1953 wrote:Last week I sent an email to the DA & Mark Dannels, Chief of Police re: Leah Freeman case, I just got back the below response (is this the std answer sent back?):

I cannot speak for the first 8 years of the Freeman investigation as I was not here, but after working on the case files and speaking with many investigators that did work this case, I can assure you that a lot of detailed work went into this investigation. During the last 2 years, Mr. Paul Frasier and I have joined forces in hopes of bringing results and answers to the Freeman family and this community who I agree has been emotionally shattered by this horrific crime. Since our press conference in January, 2010 we have made some very beneficial achievements with this case and continue to spend countless hours to investigate each and every avenue possible with this case to consciously assure we have done our job!

I respect your thoughts regarding Corey and what she has been through over the last decade, “A parents worst nightmare”!! I recently updated Corey on our status and work, but unfortunately as with any homicide investigation, we are limited in what we can say. That may not sound right, but in the best interest of justice with the ultimate goal of a successful prosecution of the offender, we must keep our information sealed until a proper venue, (i.e. the courtroom/jury).

In closing, we hope to have something out to the media soon regarding our case status and I can assure you and the Freeman family that this investigation is still an active and on-going.

Thank you for your interest with this case,

Mark J. Dannels
Chief of Police

Subject: Leah Freeman Murder, Case Status

Attn: Mark Dannels, Chief of Police

Dear Mr. Dannels,

As you know, in January 2010 Law Enforcement and the DA announced that the cold case of Leah Freeman had been re-opened. You stated that ‘new evidence’ had been sent to laboratories would be back by the end of April. It has now been five months and to date, there has been no news.

For ten long years since Leah Freeman was murdered there’s been a killer free to walk the streets, free to possibly kill again which should extremely worrisome to all elected and appointed officials and of course the public at large.

There’s been no justice for Leah, I can’t imagine what her Mom Cory Courtwright goes through and I’m hoping that you will look into this and advise status on the case.

❤ Couple Hugging BlowKisses Big Hug Bravo Dancing
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 pm

WOW, Raine, You got a much bigger response then I did!
But my response was similar!

LM, thanks for all you have done with contacts to the Media and on the case with PZ! You are a true Gem!! BlowKisses

I think I have just stepped away from here for a while because I have been so irritated with no news and have been dealing my own family drama.. Sorry to have been gone so long head bang
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Post by CritterFan1 Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 am

Raine... you rock You Go Girl
CritterFan1
CritterFan1

Back to top Go down

Post by prayerbone Thu May 20, 2010 9:43 am

Just popping in see whats happening :scratch:

BTW ive now left facebook, it was driving me nuts with my nephew and neices, so u may find if you replied to something i posted my post has disappeared .. Hiney

Anyhow still popping in and reading post, very frustrating, our hope is in Mr Dannels..

Andy

prayerbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 20, 2010 10:18 am

andy nice to hear from you here on VH.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mommyof3kids Thu May 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi Andy! I am sorry you had to leave FB because of rotten teens and kids.. LOL.. but glad you are still a member here you rock Couple Hugging
mommyof3kids
mommyof3kids

Back to top Go down

Nick McGuffin will go on trial in May 2011 for the murder of Leah Freeman - Page 14 Empty Some comments from Leah Petition

Post by Guest Fri May 21, 2010 3:43 pm

From [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Name: Anonymous on Sep 28, 2009
Comments: I may not have known her well, but she is family, and not just distantly, she was a close relative. The pain that I have witnessed from her sisters and mother is heartbreaking. What I do know of her is nothing but love and joy. She was young and had a promising life ahead of her. Anyone who could destroy that needs to get the justice they deserve, which is far from being a second chance. a decade is far to long to allow someone that cold blooded to enjoy the freedom that they have no right to.

Name: Misty C on Oct 18, 2009
Comments: My mom told me about this case and her heart is broken in more ways than one. I am signing this for Leah and for my mother because she is so passionate about this case. I hope there will be Justice for Leah and her family while my mom is here to see it happen. Please everyone sign and MAKE IT HAPPEN. Let there be Justice for Leah.

Name: Anonymous on Oct 9, 2009
Comments: I hope and pray that they will arrest someone in this case and give her family some kind of closure. I also hope that they are focusing on the right people, and that justice will be served.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:32 pm

This was on our local station when I got up this morning.
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Post by adelacruz Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:39 pm

it's about time they open their big mouths!
adelacruz
adelacruz

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:45 pm

adelacruz wrote:it's about time they open their big mouths!

LOL!! I know Adella huh!!! Wait. Wait. Wait. Seems like that's all I do is WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Post by prayerbone Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Cory let's hope its moving forward!! Be nice if they could have a bit more respect for you, and let you know whats going on, IT DRIVES ME NUTS the way you've been treated!!!

prayerbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Wow!!! (((ANDY)))!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are ya??!! Long time no see!!!!

As for the way I have been treated - I must be honest and tell you that I am being treated much better now. As of late, they have been coming by the house pretty much on a weekly basis. And also, we need to keep in mind that this is a whole new department now. There is not even 1 officer there now that was there when Leah went missing. I certainly can't let anger or frustration get in my way now. I don't know if I have ever told this story on here or not but......When Leah went missing, in my mind I kept seeing a rope. Each day that went by without finding Leah, the rope slowly unraveled. Day by day it got thinner and thinner. The day they found her the rope snapped. Gone. There is no way I can mend that rope....in other words I can never bring Leah back. All I can do is what I have done all these years ~ fight for her justice. I cannot and will not stop. Nor can I let my frustrations get in the way of her justice. The DA and LE are all I have to rely on for what I (we) have worked so hard for.

In final...... I don't know if there will ever be "Justice for Leah". But what I do know is that this new cold case team has worked VERY hard on this case and have exhausted all leads and tips to the best of their ability. Let's see what they have to say on the 25th.....
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Post by adelacruz Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:33 pm

you rock Couple Hugging
adelacruz
adelacruz

Back to top Go down

Post by prayerbone Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi Cory thats good to hear i'll take that back then over reaction by me, i had that DA in my mind when i wrote it :lol!:

prayerbone

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:19 pm

prayerbone wrote:Hi Cory thats good to hear i'll take that back then over reaction by me, i had that DA in my mind when i wrote it :lol!:

LOL! I understand! If we were to go back in time, like say 9 or 10 years ago, I wouldn't be so nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Nick McGuffin will go on trial in May 2011 for the murder of Leah Freeman - Page 14 Empty Leah Freeman's case will go in front of a Grand Jury!!/"20 20" Has Been Interviewing Cory!!

Post by Nama Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:42 pm

KCBY has learned that investigator's are set to announce another press conference for the last week of June to update their renewed investigation into the ten year old killing of a Coquille teen.

Six months after calling a press conference to announce they were taking a new look into the murder of 15-year-old Leah Freeman, investigators say they will hold another press conference on June 25th.

Coquille Police Chief Mark Dannels and Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier will explain what has been done since January, what they have seen, and what's next in the investigation.

Leah Freeman disappeared on June 28th of 2000 and her body was discovered on August 3rd of that year, off a nearby dirt road. A suspect has never been identified.

New lab results started coming back to Coquille Police at the end of April, but Dannels says the results have not yet been divulged to the public.

Officers are still taking calls, 24-hours a day, for tips on the case(541-396-2114) and a $10,000 reward is still being offered.

The June 25th press conference will be held at 9:00 a.m. at Coquille City Hall.

Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Nama Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:45 pm

New thread More info on Leah Freeman investigation to be released on June 25, 2010 at a press conferenceabout this announcement today.

by Cory Today at 12:32 pm [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This was on our local station when I got up this morning.
Nama
Nama
Administration
Administration

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:43 pm

I just saw this on "Causes" in my email. I am so happy they will finally talk on the 25th. I am sure you all have read it but might as well print it out. Justice for Leah!! And Cory, your rope association was really telling of what went through your mind. My prayers go out to you as always!!

More info on Leah Freeman investigation to be released this month

Story Published: Jun 6, 2010 at 5:04 PM PDT
By KCBY News Staff
COQUILLE, ORE - KCBY has learned that investigator's are set to announce another press conference for the last week of June to update their renewed investigation into the ten year old killing of a Coquille teen.

Six months after calling a press conference to announce they were taking a new look into the murder of 15-year-old Leah Freeman, investigators say they will hold another press conference on June 25th.

Coquille Police Chief Mark Dannels and Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier will explain what has been done since January, what they have seen, and what's next in the investigation.

Leah Freeman disappeared on June 28th of 2000 and her body was discovered on August 3rd of that year, off a nearby dirt road. A suspect has never been identified.

New lab results started coming back to Coquille Police at the end of April, but Dannels says the results have not yet been divulged to the public.

Officers are still taking calls, 24-hours a day, for tips on the case(541-396-2114) and a $10,000 reward is still being offered.

The June 25th press conference will be held at 9:00 a.m. at Coquille City Hall.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Thank you Wrap! Couple Hugging
Cory
Cory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:03 pm

:woot: :thanks: for the update. I hope they are not getting our hopes again just to be let down.
Justice for Leah Freeman!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:24 pm

BJ thanks for putting this in our lounge for the guests. I hope her killer is sweating in his boots.

Justice for Leah Freeman! I will not rest until she gets it. Neither will her Mother. So killer/murderer if your reading this.
The Law Man is coming for you soon.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrapitup Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:49 pm

I hope the general public becomes aware of this case due to this thread. (Thanks BJ!)

Personally speaking, I had never heard of this case until I started VH. That is because it did not get national media attention. It makes me wonder how the media pick's and chooses what to discuss.

All I know is this has been going on for 10 long years and Cory, Leah's mother, deserves some peace and closure!!

Justice for Leah!

Please click here for more information on Leah Freeman.

Wrapitup
Wrapitup
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next